• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS ejection issue UPDATED

cbvanb,

Good job. I know the feeling when things work out. I feel I know more about 308 than my local gun shop. I was at the gun shop yesterday checking out their 308's. I pulled the charge handle back and I noticed that the bolt that was all the way back did not clear the ejection port. Just because someone spends 3000.00 doesn't mean that they don't have the same problems we are going though. Its the same store that sold me a Vltor butt stock kit (tube, spring, buffer & butt) that was not made to work in a 308. Im now sure that if I get a Car-10 buffer & spring that my ejections well be @ 3:00 to 4:30. Im @ 1:30 to 3:00

Bob

I think a lot of gun makers send out guns that they know aren't 100%, and we're left with the problem of sorting out solutions. It isn't like the old days. I find for the most part I prefer to own older guns, made when quality mattered. But I really like this DPMS rifle, and thanks to input from people on this board I was able to find a solution. Seems like DPMS could resolve this issue with another $35 in quality parts, but then I guess that's asking a lot!

Samson has had my quad rail for a week now. I would like to get it back so I can try the new Car-10 buffer and spring. Im thinking of the LMT buttstock but its a little pricey. Hasn't stopped me before.

Friends that saw what I went through building my ar308 are nervous about building one. I would love to build a .223 and a ar308. I think I have all the bugs out . I think the problems I went through helped me understand the gun better.

I have learned alot and there is more to go. I bought a Lewis Machine & Tool SopMod buttstock so I have big bucks in my buttstock, I think its complete. It started buying a Vltor buttstock, tube, spring & buffer. I was told it was the right one for a ar308. Tried to make it work and could have had bad things happen. Hope I didn't damage the gun. Once I got the right buffer & spring it works great. Someone recommended that I should have a gunsmith check it out. (Suggestions anyone?) I have got a Car-10 & spring also.

1. Vltor buttstock (complete)

2. Replace Buffer & Spring

3. Replace (again) Buffer & Springs

4. Replace  Buttstock with Lewis Machine & Tool SopMod

I hope that its right. That alone was been a costly section of the stick.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got back to the range and put another 50 rounds through the rifle with the Slash heavy buffer and the standard DPMS recoil spring. I like this set-up better, as the empties are still landing squarely at 3 o'clock, but about twice the distance as with the Slash supplied spring. I feel better about the ejection pattern with this set-up, empties now land about 5 feet from the rifle, vs 2 feet with the Slash buffer and spring.