• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another newbie.

OD23

Great to find this site! I've been lurking for awhile, picking up some useful info and buying pieces. Now I've just won a GB auction for a CMMG lower and picked up a BCG too. So I guess I'll be a .308 AR guy. I think my build will be along the lines of the DPMS LR-308L with a few changes. I guess the aim is a light weight hunting rifle. Of course who knows how many upper assy. may be lurking in my future!! Have a little experience with AR-15's and a lifelong experience/exposure to fire arms in general. Owned guns for over 40 years and will till I die. Great hobby and great community. Any hints, tips or links pertaining to light weight build will be greatly appreciated. Barrel and upper are high on the list....leaning towards a SI-Defense Gen III upper and wonder about the DPMS lite contour barrel. (don't know what availability might be on that) Any and all opinions or alternate suggestions welcomed.

molon labe

Frank

A 20 " barrel with no larger than .750 diameter would be about maximum for a hunting rifle. I wouldn't worry about a compensator on a hunting rifle it just adds length and weight you don't need. Anything shorter than 20" is going to be really loud, and anything over 20" is going to be too long. A 308 receiver is already long to start with. This is of course my opinion but you are welcome to it.