• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building an AR10 for Hog Hunting in Texas

bsmith

I am building a noise suppressed AR10 for hog hunting. There may be some shots fired while walking up on hogs, but mostly they will be fired from a stand at 100-300 yards away. My goal is to build a decent hog hunting rifle with a best value price.

I want to take advantage of this $499 upper/lower combo deal here www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2200

I am going to to use this $695 8.5" long suppressor and flash hider here www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1447 The suppressor will use a quick disconnect so that I can move the can to a 300 whisper rifle that I will build on an AR15 platform after this rifle. Afterall, a suppressed .308 rifle isn't really that quiet considering the sonic boom of normal supersonic ammo. My really quiet rifle will be a 300 Whisper using the new mass produced 300 AAC Blackout subsonic ammo as described here 300aacblackout.com/

Given the info above, I need recommendations on a barrel, a lower parts kit, and railed forearm. I am thinking a 16" barrel would be fine, and I would pay a little more for a stainless steel barrel for the durability and ease of maintenance.

Ultimately, this rifle will have a night vision scope, but before that, a conventional scope and/or maybe a mil-dot sight. What do you recommend for an inexpensive but decent railed forearm?

I have never owned an AR rifle or any high powered rifle for that matter. I have shot friends' box store variations of AR15's and they all felt fine to me which means I don't have any strong preferences at this point. Just looking for good value to start with and will customize later. I only need reasonable hog hunting accuracy. Not sure what MOA reasonable hog hunting accuracy translates to, but I am betting 2 MOA or slightly worse is still ok.

What other details and components do I need to consider on completing this rifle while the paperwork for the suppressor is taking the usual number of months to complete?

No doubt, Rainier can supply everything needed to build out an AR10. But other than their $499 sales price on an upper/lower combo a lot of their other components are pricey. For example, .308 stainless steel barrels are $395. Compare that to $220 for stainless .308 barrels here http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/store/index.php?cPath=48&osCsid=12a05653a54682deeae765becec03426

Anyone know of a great deal on a free floating railed forearm?