• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Upper/BCG Question

moopey

Hey everyone. I just got my Quentin Defense billet upper in the mail today. The entire time I had the thing on order I thought it had a forward assist. Well it showed up as a slick side....no forward assist and no ejection port cover. I'll be contacting QD if this is the only option they offer for 308.

Do slick sides have to have a specific bolt carrier with the knob to pull on? I just ordered the 762 industries BCG yesterday which is a standard BCG and now I'm worried it may be useless. I also already have a DPMS carrier that I figured I would sell or keep for a spair....I'm worried this would be useless also.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

I'm using a standard DPMS style BCG.  My Maten upper does not have a forward assist.  The 308 BCG usually is heavy to push the round in without the need of a FA.  I did have some issues where I ride the charging handle in.  If you just let it go, the bolt will most certainly chamber the round.

You usually pull the BCG by the charging handle.  A BCG with the side serrations for the FA to catch onto should work on an upper without the FA.  A lightened BCG like the JP one that does not have the side serrations would still work on an upper with a FA but the FA will not work.  The only one I know is different are the side chargers. 

I'm using a standard DPMS style BCG.  My Maten upper does not have a forward assist.  The 308 BCG usually is heavy to push the round in without the need of a FA.  I did have some issues where I ride the charging handle in.  If you just let it go, the bolt will most certainly chamber the round.

You usually pull the BCG by the charging handle.  A BCG with the side serrations for the FA to catch onto should work on an upper without the FA.  A lightened BCG like the JP one that does not have the side serrations would still work on an upper with a FA but the FA will not work.  The only one I know is different are the side chargers. 

Actually the FA still works without the serrations as long as it hits the back of the BCG which is likely would in any normal situation where it might be used (tight chamber or something).

Edited by Justintoxicated