• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Custom handguns

SWshooter

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm updating this thread because I got my Delta Gold Cup back from the 'smith. Unfortunately it hasn't been a pleasant experience. First problem I had was that the 'smith's phone was disconnected for non-payment, and I wasn't able to get in touch with him. I finally just drove to his shop and found him home. He said he had been in the hospital, but that my pistol was finished. I paid him the balance due and took possession of the gun and returned home. The first thing I noticed was that the safety wasn't properly fit, it worked, but wouldn't completely lock the the slide. I had supplied him with two barrels, one in 40 S&W, and one in 10mm. It had the 40 barrel in it and I changed to the 10mm barrel and took it to the range. I fired about 30 rounds through it and started having problems with the slide locking into battery so hard I couldn't manually retract it. I tried to call Don Gabor, the 'smith, but his phone was still disconnected. I disassembled it and it seemed that the link was too long so I relieved the hole in the link enough to relieve the binding of the slide. I also spent the time to fit the safety. I took the gun back to the range and fired it again, this time the front sight came loose, and a close examination showed that the dove tail had been improperly cut. I returned home and tried to tighten the dove tail by staking the bottom of the dovetail to raise some metal and re-installing the sight. I also found out that the smith had never installed  the roll pin that locks the sight in place, and that the hole in the slide for the pin was drilled off center. I decided to shoot the gun again and at that time the sight came loose again and the slide started locking up again. I also found out that the barrel had never been throated and it was chewing up my brass. I tried to fire a few rounds I had clipped and then the slide completely locked up about half way out of battery. I returned home and had to drive the slide off the gun with a brass hammer. Examination showed that the link pin had sheared completely into three pieces. I replaced the link and pin with the ones from the old factory barrel and did some serious studying on the problem and finally figured out that the barrel bottom feet had never been fitted to the slide stop. This was putting all the strain of the slide returning to battery on the link and it of course failed. Still not being able to call Don Gabor, I realized I might as well finish the pistol myself as I seemed to be a better craftsman than Don. I peened the edges of the dovetail where it would be covered by the sight blade and re-installed the sight, this time with red Locktite. That seems to have solved that problem. I fitted the barrel feet and throated the barrel, I also had to fit the grip safety, and modify the sear spring as it had been bent so strangely it was hanging up the magazines and they wouldn't drop free. I also had to fit the thick flange bushing that was supposed the be fitted to the 10mm barrel. I found it in with the old parts and Don seemed to have used the thin flange that came with the barrel. Happily, I took the gun to the range last night and shot a round of bulls eye with it and it functioned perfectly and seems to be quite accurate. By the way, the load I have been shooting is a 175 gr SWC over 5 gr of 231, about a 900 fps load. Not what you would consider a fire breathing 10mm load. I guess the lesson to be learned here is to do a lot of research on a gunsmith BEFORE you give him the gun. Just FYI, Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on smithing the 45 auto is excellent.

jeez  :o Glad you worked it out. I have both of Jerry's 1911 books. They are the best.

Those who aren't familiar check them out here.

When i had my Gold Cup  fitted with Accu Rails the smith botched it twice. Both times the rails broke during the first mag. Finally I called Kreiger the man behind the system. He fixed it right up at no cost. The other smith never fit the barrel properly.