• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

optic for heavy metal

Jgun

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Trijicon Accupoint in the mail yesterday. I'm sure those of you with high end optics will not be impressed but I took it out of the box, and in the house with no lights on and the shades down, just ambient light, the red triangle on this thing was brighter than any battery powered red dot I've ever used, It's amazing, I don't know how they manage to gather enough light to do it. I think this thing is going to be a big help with the close shot's, not so sure about the long range with only 4X magnification.

• 1 month later...

I have to think the Trijicon ACOG TA33-9 would be one of the most sought after, if such were allowed.  Here's the link:

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33-9

Looking at the USPSA rules, appendix A4 and A5 has two divisions for Heavy Metal; one is "Limited" and the other "Tactical".  Apparently the former does not allow optics, while the latter does.  I guess around here most all of those events are governed by the limited rules.

Higher magnification in a run and gun event I find less desirable.  When I am moving, the higher power optics tend to bounce around in my vision far too much, and make it hard to lock onto the target.  It is not so much the magnification anyways, as it is the resolve of the sights when superimposed on the target that allows for more accuracy.  Being able to find the desired point of aim reference and lay it on the target quickly tends to yield the desired results for me anyways.  Your mileage may vary.  I find 3-4 x magnification to be ample out to 600 yards for such events.

A suitable Aimpoint optic in 1 or 2 MOA with 3 x should also do the trick.  On the lower price range are more conventional compact scopes with standard mildot crosshairs and perhaps variable power in the 2-10 or 3-12 range.  They require more experience to gain the proficiency with, but they can get the job done as well.

I haven't tried it in a match yet but I think that the TR-24 should work pretty well for the matches, at least the ones at my local club. I'm coming to the AR matches by way of the USPSA pistol matches where I use a non magnified red dot on my open gun. The Trijicon has the same type of both eyes open red dot setup for the close in targets, along with a variable magnification to 4X. Hopefully that will be sufficient for my on the long stuff. I presently have an AR-15 with an Eotec XPS red dot that I really like along with a flip to side magnifier mount that I can mount anything from a 3X to a 7X. Since I haven't yet used either in a match I'm really trying to determine which will actually work better for me. I like being able to use the TR-24 without having to physically flip the magnifier back and forth, but I'm not sure yet if the extra magnification possibilities of the flip to side might prove to be something I need to get my hit's on the long targets. I guess I'll probably know better after I try one or the other in my first match.