• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AA4064 In AR308

mineralman55

I finally got to the range yesterday. First time in over three months. Just too busy and preoccupied. I did try out some new-to-me powder, AA4064. Not my first choice, but I haven't seen AA2520 in over two years. Found AA4064 on sale several months ago and figured I'd buy some and try it, as it will work in all my rifle calibers.

Loaded up 10 rounds each with 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5 and 44 grains under a 168 BTHP Sierra, LC 1x-fired cases, Win LR primers, 2.800" +-0.002". AA4064 is a short stick and it flows through an RCBS Uniflo well. All the loads were compressed.

It was hot, partly cloudy and the wind was a gusty 10-15 mph. Not bad, perfect functioning, threw all the cases to 3 o'clock. Primers were all the same, maybe just slightly flattened, cases were bright and clean, rifle clean up was minimal, not too much residue, not bad at all. Accuracy was not as good as I'd like but it was acceptable. Most 10-shot groups were 2.5-3MOA, but they were symmetrical, not strung out. Perhaps this powder needs more work (or perhaps I was rusty, yeah, that's it). Until AA2520 and TAC become available again, this will do for plinking and load development. Pics included. Scores would have been good, but the groups aren't acceptable for me yet.

post-12734-0-48618200-1397482336_thumb.j

post-12734-0-49046300-1397482349_thumb.j

Edited by mineralman55