• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Josh, barrel construction question for you...

Josh, this has come up recently, and I'd like to get your input - if it's at all possible.  If there are discolsure issues that would arise from stating any of this information, then I (we) understand, and that would be a perfectly acceptable answer...

Seems like the new Fulton Armory barrels are using Armalite gas tubes.  This would require a manufacturing change, to accomodate those longer gas tubes.  Did that happen, and everything from Fulton is now using the longer Armalite gas tubes?  (The .308s, only, it seems - everything else is TDP-spec'd on the AR15s).  See below quotes:

Fulton Armory's web site (Jan 2015) now lists:  Gas Tube, Rifle, FAR-308 AR, "Approximately .325" longer than AR-15 tube".  There must be a reason for this.  I must not have been the "Lone Ranger" with 308 gas tube length (AR-15 rifle length tube) issues on DPMS platform rifles.  Someone else must have had the same problem.  Otherwise, why would they change it?

I know someone we can ask about this issue - seems like Fulton switched to the Armalite gas tube length for their barrel production, and the barrels would have to be built for that.

Let's ask Josh, our Criterion Barrels sponsor...   <thumbsup>

Any light you could shed on this would defeinitely help answer questions - but don't get into trouble with Clint!  :))

Edited by 98Z5V

Good morning,

I believe last time we spoke with Fulton they were using DPMS gas tubes, which wound up protruding about .750 into the chamber. The Armalite tube would protrude about an inch into the chamber, which is a more common practice. I can't speak for Fulton, but I'm guessing they made that change to better accommodate their existing gas port size and slightly reduce the possibility of overgassing the rifle. If you're experiencing excessive recoil then I'd suggest looking into swapping out for an Armalite gas tube on an existing build, but if you're not running into any problems with the shorter tube you should be fine. If you're worried about which gas tube to use on your rifle, I would suggest contacting Fulton directly. We build the barrels to their specifications, so they're probably your best point of reference on how all the pieces should fit together!

-Josh