• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oracle 308

Had my Oracle for 3 weeks now and had 3 trips to the range. Have to admit I wasn't expecting much after reading some of the stuff on the web about DPMS problems. Well, This thing is GREAT! 100 rounds so far and not one single issue.

First trip to the range, it was set up with a Burris Trophy XLT. Great scope for low light by the way.  I was mainly interested in breaking it in so was shooting some 110g Hornady TAP that someone gave me. 1/2 inch group at 100 yards.

Next trip, I've got it set up with my Eotech XPS-2 and 5X magnifier, 155g Hornady TAP (time to get serious). Kicking out 2 rounds touching with a flyer 1 inch overall (I measure outside to outside). Third trip was with the Yankee Hills back up sights, same pattern.

Will be heading out Saturday to recheck the scope (Hog hunting on Sunday).

Overall, I'm loving this rifle. Only complaint is the trigger, gritty and long. Think I'll put in a CMMG one piece. Accuracy is great, I'm well pleased (as soon as I figure out that flyer).

This is my do it all long gun now. Hog hunting, patrol and long shot. It will be wearing the eotech most of the time with the scope set up on a Larue mount with the ND3 ready for the long stuff. Oh, I'm using the magpul pmags but the factory mags functioned just fine on the first range trip.

Awesome!! I'm looking to get an oracle upper to switch back and forth with my 24" upper. May I suggest the Rock River 2 stage match trigger. I picked one up locally for $90 and would say it is on par with the accutrigger that is in my savage. It made a world of difference. Did you do the suggested break in procedure, or just start shooting? My 24" shot like crap for about the first 75 rounds during the break in, but just seems to be getting better and better. It's finally to the point that my bore isn't completely coated with copper after every mag.

I did a modified break in. Shoot 3, run the bore snake through, repeat for the first 20 rounds. It was dead on all the way through. There was a lot of cooper the first 10 rounds or so but it's settled out now. The trigger is smothing out, but still has a lot of take up for my taste so I'll look into your suggestion. Thanks,

Congrats on the performance.  I am glad to hear the Oracle system is doing well for you.  I just got word late last week that Midway shipped my Oracle upper and it should be here in about a week.  I too will be swapping out my 24" bull barrel upper when the Oracle gets in.  I break in barrels using the Tubbs bore finishing system, and have had fairly good results.  My 24" barrel broke in quickly and began grouping tight after shooting the twenty Tubbs rounds.  I switched up to AE 150 gr fmjbt and got 3/4" groups at 100 yards. 

Not sure yet which optics I want to put on top of the Oracle system.  I was thinking of a fixed power short telescopic sight matched with a tough red dot system.  I haven't landed on any brands as yet, so will probably try some different models and see what works best for me.  I am putting an AR-10 Timney trigger in the lower, after seriously contemplating using the RRA two stage match system.  I put the RRA in my AR-15 heavy barreled gun and liked it a lot.  I went with the Timney on the LR-308 because I am installing it myself and preferred the easier of the two.  Also just wanted to compare the two. 

Another consideration is whether or not to go with a muzzle brake on the Oracle.  With the shorter/lighter front end, it may be prudent to tame the recoil some, especially if I plan on using this in three gun competitions.

I'd try it stock first, it's pretty heavy. I was able to get pretty quick follow ups during "shoot and move" drills. Pretty good group too. I have 2 set ups, optics wise. I have a Burris Trophy XLT for hog hunting a long range stuff and an Eotech XPS2-0 with a 5x magnifyer on a swing out mount.