• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR Front sight

I have a Shot gun news , the Treasury edition , it has an article from a GunSmith in Arizona ,named Phil Arrington, where he's rebuilding a M4 Colt for a Sniper going to Afghanistan .

Even though its for a 5.56 , we all know ARs , for the most part are all the same .

The article was written in 2010.

I will put forth some of his wisdom for us to ponder & discuss.

I also machined recesses into barrel so the Colt flip up front sight could be attached with set screws , like the national match rifles insted of pressing in taper pins, that could hinder the Krieger's accuracy.

When the tapper pins are pressed into the front sight/ barrel assembly, it is done with great force.

That force radiates into the bore.When you measure the interior dimensions of the barrel in ten thousandths of an inch , the pins will create microscopic speed bump in the barrel.

The speed bump will flatten on side of the bullet as it passes, disruptting its uniformity

Now that makes sense , I never thought of it making much of a difference.

Does that mean that if a front sight was installed with the taper pins , is it already deformed some what or will the barrel stress back after the pins are removed. Some thing to think about .