• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Correct width upper for my lower Fulton/Aero

ar-mountaineer

So I’m ready to buy my complete upper. I was dead set on getting an aero precision then I started looking at photos of builds online. It appears that the bottom of the aero is going to be much skinnier than the top of my lower. Then I started looking at the Fulton builds and it looks like it would fit much better. I basically must get a complete upper bc I have no desire to assemble one myself. Getting a matched upper for my 80 lower is a non deal because I want a quality complete upper. The ones they offer in complete uppers seem like the barrels are not up to par. My 80% lower is from Daytona tactical. Do any of you have any experience with “wide” lowers and care to offer a suggestion. My 80 is ready to go, already milled out. It looks like if unwound have gotten an 80% arms lower the aero would fit much better. 

Basically I want something that will look seamless or as close as I can get. Again, I don’t want to build an upper from a matched set. 

Heres a pic of the assembled lower. Thanks in advance for any help  

8FE5660C-9ACE-4A38-A1F5-690A5B7B65D1.jpeg

Measurements of your lower (outside-outside) would be helpful.

You shouldn't be concerned with quality on a Fulton Armory complete upper -- every one of theirs comes with at least a Criterion Hybrid-weight barrel installed, but you have the option of choosing a different barrel -- any of the ones they stock and sell individually. Their uppers are built-to-order, so you get lots of choices.

17 minutes ago, COBrien said:

Measurements of your lower (outside-outside) would be helpful.

You shouldn't be concerned with quality on a Fulton Armory complete upper -- every one of theirs comes with at least a Criterion Hybrid-weight barrel installed, but you have the option of choosing a different barrel -- any of the ones they stock and sell individually. Their uppers are built-to-order, so you get lots of choices.

Yes, I gather Fulton is very well regarded. The quality from Daytona tactical in their complete upper is what I am trying to avoid. 

I can can get measurements tonight. 

Just looking at the photos it appears the Fulton is the proper “style”. I’m basing it on the takedown pin holes and the shape above them. A known constant would be the takedown pin length, correct. Below are pictures or each and also a picture of what I am trying to avoid. It is a pic of someone who used an aero upper with a lower “similar” in design to mine. 

4DCDF8FB-6602-474E-A8C3-759169EBC3A6.jpeg

524C7F46-74E1-4375-AEF6-C3E5661B0CA0.jpeg

4D78ADE8-9057-46B4-971C-550D347ECEB5.jpeg

For anyone wondering. 

The daytona tactical 80% lower is 1.359” (finally measured with a caliper). Above the rear takedown pin.

Fulton Armory upper was stated to me at 1.268” (from the FA shop manager) at the rear takedown pin.

With a difference of about .09” it will leave slightly more than 1/32nd” on each side. I can live with that.