• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Ar308 build advice needed

Brad597

I just purchased an aero m5 upper and lower set at a pretty good deal, I originally went to my lgs for parts for another ar15 build, but got offered this good deal and took it.

first off I have never built an ar308 from the ground up, I have done several ar15’s, anyway I got a couple questions.

first off I want to do more of a precision build, our range is only 200 yards right now, but will be longer soon. I want this rifle to be a tack driver on a budget ( if possible). What length barrel would be good? And what barrel brand do you recommend?

As far as the LPK I was gonna stick with aero unless you guys can recommend something else? Also what trigger assembly would be good?

I guess that’s all the questions I have at the moment, I know I will have more later.

thanks for any help or advice you guys can give.

Just a few pointers:  The Aero LPK is what I would use.  Aero's BCG is OK to use also. Get a Armalite EA1095 buffer spring and at least a H3 weight buffer.  LaRue makes a nice 2-stage trigger for about $80.   I'd contact Paul Craddock at https://craddockprecision.com/ for a barrel.   A precision large frame AR is going to run you more than doing the same with a AR15.  Good luck.

For a precision rifle the barrel, trigger, and bolt are top consideration. Trigger wise that MBT from LaRue is tops for the money, want something with adjustments and a stellar reputation the Geissele National Match trigger is just outstanding but near 4 times the money. Barrels are the same way, plenty of good button rifled target barrels for reasonable money, Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, and many more. I have a BA 20 in. match barrel that shoots great, if you step up to those big name target barrels you can pay three times as much and have a long wait.

Do you want a rifle length buttstock or the carbine length for an adjustable stock? If carbine then get the whole buffer kit from Armalite, it has the correct length extension.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

If rifle length then,

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT02&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

Barrel length, are you going to push a thousand yards? If not, say 800 yds. and less no reason a 16 in. wouldn't get it done for you. If weight doesnt matter pin that thing down with a 20 in. bull barrel, got my BA 20 inch cheap and like new from someone that just couldn't stand the weight, these things get heavy fast.

Great info!

I think I’m gonna go with the carbine stock for adjustability.

on the barrel I was thinking an 18 inch would suffice, but since a 16 would be fine for anything under 800, I think that would be perfect, and keep weight down too.

i also think the larue mtb trigger is the way to go.(money wise).

now I gotta get a list made and start checking off. I think I got the big questions out of the way, but I’m sure I will have more.

thanks!!!

I was looking at adjustable gas blocks, would that be better than non adjustable?

I will be handloading for this rifle after the first 200-300 rounds, I didn’t know if an adjustable block would be the way to go if I’m mainly shooting the same ammo through it?

im probably way over thinking this.