• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Question on buffer systems

ColinGSeries

Hi guys! My build is progressing. I now have all the parts and tools ordered for my Stag 10 build! I'm just waiting for the last shipments to arrive and it's BUILD TIME!

For a refresher, here is my build:

Stag 10 Blem Receivers

Stag 10 UPK/LPK

Stag 10 Carbine Buffer Kit - More on this later

BA 18" Stainless Heavy Barrel w/ VG6 Epsilon Muzzle Device

Toolcraft NiB BCG

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 AGB w/ Odin Works Rifle Length Gas Tube

Aero Precision 15" ATLAS S-One Handguard

Trybe Defense Ambi Charging Handle

Hogue Overmolded Carbine Stock

Bering Optics Prismatic Supra 3.0x32mm Optic

Now I am in the mockup stage as I wait for the last couple parts to arrive, and I had a couple of questions/concerns about my rifle. Headspacing is good and the functions I can test right now (bolt catch, going into battery, mag release, safety selector, and better-than-expected trigger) all work great. However, it appears that my buffer is striking the retainer plunger lightly when I charge the rifle.

Here are the details on my action from front to back:

I have a rifle length gas system with an adjustable gas block

I have my BCG, which is just under 8-7/16" when closed (like when the bolt is in battery and the buffer is decompressed)

I have a DPMS Carbine tube (7" inner depth) and this tube sits flush with the inside edge of the "hoop" when installed

I have an 11" buffer spring with 24-25 coils

I have a 2.5" buffer that weighs 3.866oz

Now I have some questions about this. I read on other forums that buffer tubes striking retainers is bad, and could mean that the hole for the retainer is out-of-spec, or something else. Based on what I have provided, what do you think is causing my striking issue? Keep in mind that these strikes are light, leaving less of an impression than a primer strike. It also appears that my BCG is "picking up" the buffer as I close my receivers, but only a little bit.

From what I have read, it appears that the simplest solution is to install an offset buffer retainer to move it further away from the in-battery position of the buffer. Do you all agree on this?

And since I am already assessing my buffer system, I have seen many times on here that OEM DPMS buffer systems like mine are not optimal for these builds. I have seen Springco Orange springs and various buffers listed as suggestions for upgrades, and I figure if I'm already going to be upgrading/changing part of my buffer system I may as well upgrade the whole system. So what would you guys recommend as a good buffer system to pair with my gas setup?

Thanks in advance!

61686632948__FCB16DDF-3A1E-4C3A-965B-A8B53BD9F7A6.JPG

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System KIT, first off.

Springco Orange spring and KAK Shorty buffer (5.3oz), second.

No matter which one you go with, you'll need the offset buffer retaining pin.

Thanks! So you’re saying the ArmaLite is the best option, with the Springco/KAK option second? Why one over the other? Does the longer buffer tube in the AR-10 kit reduce recoil impulse further? Here is a picture of the marring on my buffer:

186D204F-4DE3-41C4-A788-8E39A2E5EE3D.jpeg

Edited by ColinGSeries