• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer combination?

DM15

I can say this, for the 150s and a .308AR.  I ran that load of mine through a 13.5" barreled gun, with only a red-dot, out to 400 yards on steel.  It gets it done, even with just a red dot, just with holds.  I have a thread on that somewhere here, with all the target-hit pics, descriptions of each 100-yard hold, etc.

I'd say, more than anything, what's the goal for your gun?  What do you want it to do for you?

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, DM15 said:

Other than the satisfaction I get from building it and getting it perform  to its potential, it pays its way controlling hogs with a thermal.  I like to hunt but we farm/ranch.  Hogs are expensive.

I built another large-frame almost identical to my 16" 308 Win AR, just for that reason - 16" .338 Federal - to smash big pigs.  I live in AZ, have a friend in TX - and haven't been able to get over there to use it for what I built it for yet.  I get it.   :thumbup:

How close can you get to these bastards?  What's your average shot, and longest shot?  I have ideas...

The Grendel is the rage here.  I didn't bite.  Ammo was cheap and available.  I went with a  30 cal offshoot of the 6.8.  Its very efficient and effective.  Honestly if a guy doesn't handload or care about tinkering with guns,  the most practical choice would have been the 7.62x39 preferably in AR platform.  Cheap and effective for most practical situations.

Here's some velocity info.  I've used Shooter's Notes Velocity Estimator for years, to compare short guns to long guns.  I tend to build a caliber, come up with a load, love the gun - and want it shorter - just to see how far I can take it.  I use this to get an idea, come up with a basic chart, and test the new, short gun.  It's always pretty damn close.

Here's the Hornady 10 Manual load data for 150s from a 22" barrel, at 2700fps - max charge listed was 46.4gr at 2800.  IMR 4895 and H 4895 are near-twins, and damn near interchangeable for load data.  Hornady listed IMR, you use the H - not a big deal.  The 22" load data comes in at 2700fps, per the load manual, and this is the calculation of the same load through a 16" - comes in at 2550fps - ish.

1399483161_308150grmaxcharge.thumb.png.f5e37732a001c2cda8687c0aa9c129fa.png 

Getting another 150fps out of this, through a 16" barrel, is gonna push you WAY over max loads.  Suppressed will be even worse, with the additional backpressure of the suppressor.  Getting 2700 from a 16"er with 150s is gonna be a timebomb, man.  Just my opinion, though. I'll run another graphic with the Max at 2800 in the 22", and see what it is in the 16".

I have some 46 grain loads with Alliant RL-15 for the .308 Win 150s, and it's a compressed load - only for my bolt gun.  I won't run those loads through the ARs.  46+ grains of H4895 has to be compressed loads, or close to compressed loads, and way up there through an AR gas gun.

Good info.  I didn't think I was pushing limits with 43.5 gr.  Lee starts at 43.0 gr and max 45.5.  The fact is however that I am having problems.  I have couple hundred loaded.  I probably won't pull them yet.  I tried some other powders yesterday and may load enough of them to hunt with.  If problems cease them I will know.

Leaning toward BL-C2 at 46.5 or 47.0gr.  Just a one shot ladder got 2551 and 2599 respectively.  May run a small ladder again in that range to confirm.

Odd question.  While testing yesterday I noticed most brass is almost too hot to hold for a few seconds after firing.  That's expected and it cools very fast.  However one shot in particular didn't eject.  I ejected by hand immediately and picked up brass.  It was as cool as when I loaded it and almost as shiny.  It wasn't even warm.  This was the top load of Varget at 46.0 gr.    Is this a sign of delayed combustion or something wrong?