• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62 cal crush washers supposed to be thinner gauge than 5.56?

Tack14

Hi everyone, this is my first post outside of the introductions forum.

I'm pretty new to the world of 308 AR's but about to embark on my first build.  I ordered some 5.56 and some 7.62 crush washers, seemed like a good thing to have some of both on hand.  But when the ones I ordered came in I was struck by the significant difference in thickness.

The 5.56 crush washers are significantly thicker/heavier gauge than the 7.62 ones I got from same place.  I tried to get a picture from an angle that shows this well but I am not sure if I succeeded or not.  Basically the 7.62 crush washer is just a little over half the thickness of the 5.56 one and feels lighter too.

Is this normal or do I need to be buying my 7.62 crush washers somewhere else?  🙂

Thanks!

Tack14

crush-762vs556.jpg

Looks like DSG Arms was the vendor - they're good.  You can rotate a crush washer 540 degrees - 1.5 turns.  After that, it'll split.  Then you start over with another one.

Don't ever use a crush washer on a muzzle device that will be a suppressor host.  Use shims or peel washers only, there, in that case.

I switched up to Accu-Washers a long time ago, from Precision Armament. 

Edited by 98Z5V