• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Amtac CQB-M 7.62 short review

BrianK

It looks like it's just the CQB now. When I bought mine they had 2 versions,  the long and short "M" version . 

https://amtacsuppressors.com/product/cqb-7-62-suppressor/

A few years ago I called and asked about any increased sound mitigation of the longer  version and was told they were exactly the same. Could that be why they dropped the longer and heavier model? IDK but it makes sense. 

Anyway, I originally bought it for a Desert Tech MDR, but for reasons I won't go into here that didn't happen. That turned out to be a really good thing as I built a 10.3" 300BLK handgun which wears it today. My build is both shorter and lighter than the MDR anchor.  I kinda took the clue what the can was for by the subtle name. When mounted on the handgun the "barrel" length comes to 14" with it installed. My goal was short OAL and this can succeeded in that. I've shot enough indoors that I know it's not fun to touch off a botttleneck round indoors. I needed a can to mitigate the blast. That's exactly what this can is for. I tested it indoors and yup, the blast is little to none. But hearing safe? No. But if I have to use it indoors the last thing on my mind is going to be my hearing. Hearing safe is not this can's goal. Again, blast mitigation IS what this can is all about and staying as short as possible while doing it. If you're looking for the quietest suppressor available this is NOT that can. 

When the CQB is put on the barrel a large portion of it (6") slips over the barrel and near the middle are the threads. So even though it's almost 10" long <4" extends past the end of the barrel. It handles really nicely in tight confines. While the quietest can is NOT the goal it succeeds admirably at it's true design goal.

It certainly appears and feels rugged enough too. It should last for many decades and many tens of thousands of rounds. Heck, it'll last forever at my level of use. The design is a straight through design. What I mean by that is that the barrel threads on and the bullet passes through a small ID tube (.308+ ID) that has holes drilled into it. The blast enters the holes and fills the hollow portion of the can. There are probably fins of some sort in it (there must be) to scrub some of the heat and lower the dB. But they aren't seen from the outside with a flashlight; just the tube and holes are seen. If you think of a 4" long compensator surrounded by a pressure vessel you have the basic idea. Of course it's built to tighter tolerances than a compensator needs to be .

I see no difference in POI with it on or off. 

Can it be run wet? I have no idea. I'm going to ask Amtac.

Is it for everyone? I highly doubt it. It's definitely not hearing safe and most people want the quietest can they can find. But for the right use it does what it's designed to do.