• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any Suggestions for "Traditional Style" Drop-In 308 Handguards?

brumbie

Hey everybody, happy to be here!

I'm working on building a hunting rifle, and I really don't want to make it look "tactical." I don't want a free-floating handguard. I already have the delta ring installed in this build.

My upper is an Aero Precision unit. I picked up a rifle length Magpul MOE M-Lok handguard, as this has a pretty conservative style, but the problem I have discovered is that the DPMS AR-308 delta ring and barrel nut are slightly longer than the one for the AR15, so the Magpul handguard is too long. I attempted to do some trimming, but I couldn't make it work.

I'm essentially looking to mimic the look of the Wyndham Weaponry R20FFTM-308. I'm not sure how they went about getting the Magpul handguard in their build, they must have a different delta ring setup.

I don't need the handguard to look exactly like the Magpul one, but if anybody has any suggestions on handguards made to work with the delta rings of the AR-308, that would be great. I'm really not going for that cheese grater look on this build (I already have one of those). I'm just looking to put together something that looks a bit subdued for this build.

Thanks so much.

(Uploaded image of the Wyndham Weaponry R20FFTM-308 for reference)

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 9.24.32 PM.png

9 minutes ago, brumbie said:

I'm working on building a hunting rifle,

Free-float it with a modern looking handguard, that's not a quadrail.  You'll get far better accuracy for hunting, that way. There are tons of options available for that.