• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pulling trigger, hammer just twitches

dpete

My last range trip I had an issue resurface that I don't like. In the middle of firing through a magazine the hammer refused to drop. After clearing the weapon and re-racking the slide I watched very closely as I slowly pulled the trigger. I could see the hammer twitch but it does not fall. Its basically locked in a cocked position. This situation happened once before and the gunsmith that looked into it gave the pistol a thorough cleaning and the hammer locking went away for about 200 rounds. Now its back!

The pistol is a Taurus PT 1911 (I know, I know) but I would at least like it to be reliable if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to remedy this.

I think I found my own answer. 

From the 1911 forum:

Check is see if your disconnector is stuck down, it needs to be up all the way for the hammer to drop. A rough finish on the center leaf of the sear spring where it pushes up the disconnector can make the disconnector hang up too. Sear springs I have gotten from Klonimus or Wilson Combat are nice and smooth and don't have the issue. Some no name cheapies off eBay have required some stoning to clean up.

This seems to have been the problem. The sear spring had enough of a burr on the edge facing the disconnector that I could feel it with a fingernail. A few gentle file strokes got rid of the burr and all is working as it should now. The trigger falls with the safety off, it doesn't fall with the safety on and nothing is binding anywhere. This was my first foray into a disassembly beyond a field strip and I want to say thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by dpete