• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how to remove handguard?

Hi Folks,

I have a DPMS recon LR-308. Its got a quad rail floating handguard. I highly dislike the quad rail and want to stick a newer style rail on it. Something that doesn't tear up the hands.
I am able to get the lock nut loose but can't figure out how to remove the rest of the rail. I loosened the 2 allen bolts under the gas block, but the gas block appears to not slide past a notch on the barrel. I assume after the gas block is removed the handguard turns to unloosen from the upper?

image0 (5).jpeg

The gas tube goes through the barrel nut. Pull the muzzle device and slide the gas block off. Might be on there pretty good from the factory, but it's probably not pinned, and should come loose with some work. The barrel nut may have sealant on it. If so it might take some heat to get it off but it will screw off once the gas tube is out. 

Had to remove the allen bolts entirely from the gas block they appear to seat down in the barrel some so loosening does not get the gas block off. I used a heat gun and then twisted off by hand but the handguard is still attached to the thread. I am assuming I will need to go buy a tool to get it off.

1155478662_image0(8).thumb.jpeg.420b393fe1048b6627db465e420fe91f.jpeg

Your new handguard will come with its own barrel nut, so you can fight with that one to get it apart if you want, but it's not a huge deal. A 308 barrel nut wrench with the pegs will get it apart. Just put the rail in a vise and unscrew the barrel nut with the wrench. Probably just been on there so long its jammed up. 

The hard part is usually getting that factory barrel nut off the upper, so I'd say you came.out ahead. 

Edited by blue109