• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Heavier buffer for ruger SFAR

99airforce

I was watching a program on the Ruger SFAR 308, they were commenting on tweaking g the SFAR. But now I can't find the article. The were talking about changing the gas ports and changing the buffer. To tame the 308. Did anyone read the article or see the program. 

Ike to know about the buffer they changed to

Measure the buffer you have now, and tell us what the dimension are, that you come up with.  Need buffer length, need buffer weight, need spring length (relaxed), with wire diameter, coil count.

^^^  That will go along way, in trying to figure out your gun over the internet.

What is your gun doing now?   What malfunctions?  How does it run?  Is it running well enough to accept it like it is, or does is suck to shoot? 

I can go on an on...   Best thing is for you to tell us what you don't like about it's operation.  Give up the recoil system specs, you'll get advice.  All those other questions I asked are subjective - you might think your gun kicks like hell  - I might think it's a soft-shooter, for what it is.  That's all feelings, not actual operation. 

i recently bought a rifle length gas .308 and noticed how hard the BCG was hitting the buffer so I ordered a heavier buffer and tried it out.  I didn't give the manufacturer the correct information needed, think I told him it was carbine length.  As you can already see clearly I'm at the bottom of the learning curve so any input, suggestions, critics would be much appreciated.  Have not handled or fired the SFAR but after doing research on this site I read some on breaking in bolts and carriers not saying that is an issue with SFAR but it seemed to be with my rifle.  When I first started doing load work up for my rifle I got to 2600 fps mv with 150gr plinkers and started getting flat primers and stopped there, got decent accuracy but was thinking that was the beginning of high pressure signs.  After 400 rounds or so I started gradually increasing my powder charge and changing my habits a little.  Either I'm getting used to the cycling of the rifle or the rifle has been broke in?  Whatever the case I'm up to a hotter load and more accurate load still seeing flat primers but no shiny spots.  I'm by no means implying anything with the post 99airforce posed, just commenting on my own experiences so far. I am still considering a SLR adjustable gas block after I get some more time in with rifle and get my suppressor out of jail will see then.