• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Life of different builds

Traveler

So what cartridges are the most forgiving with respect to operation and material longevity? All I know(?) is 5.56/223 can be shot forever out of a chrome lined or other good stainless barrel, accuracy may not be under a couple inches at 300 yards, but... I actually had a Colt HBAR that consistently put three well under a quarter at 100 yards. 308W seems fairly forgiving in the barrel life of things, and 30-30 will last well over 10 years and thousands or fired rounds.

It is my understanding that 6.5C, Grendel and 260 Rem are hot enough to wear out throats after how much shooting?

I'm not a complete idiot, I know the hotter the cartridge, the harder on the firearm. Tell me what your experience is. I do so love the idea of the 260 Rem and 7M-08.

Learn me.

17 hours ago, Traveler said:

It is my understanding that 6.5C, Grendel and 260 Rem are hot enough to wear out throats after how much shooting?

I'm not a complete idiot, I know the hotter the cartridge, the harder on the firearm. Tell me what your experience is. I do so love the idea of the 260 Rem and 7M-08.

Learn me.

All depends on projectile weight, and muzzle velocity.  My .260 is running 147s at 2650fps.  That barrel will live forever.  If I decided on some crazy 95gr V-Max lightweight projectile, and bumped the muzzle velocity to 3200 fps, then I'll just kill barrels faster.  I run 123s in the Grendels, 147s in the .260, 108s in the 6 ARCs, 178s for the .308 guns, and I'm starting up with 175s for the 7mm-08.  I load heavy, because heavy goes a long way, better than lightweight projectiles do.  I live in the desert, so "long shots" mean something different out here. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

All depends on projectile weight, and muzzle velocity.  My .260 is running 147s at 2650fps.  That barrel will live forever.  If I decided on some crazy 95gr V-Max lightweight projectile, and bumped the muzzle velocity to 3200 fps, then I'll just kill barrels faster.  I run 123s in the Grendels, 147s in the .260, 108s in the 6 ARCs, 178s for the .308 guns, and I'm starting up with 175s for the 7mm-08.  I load heavy, because heavy goes a long way, better than lightweight projectiles do.  I live in the desert, so "long shots" mean something different out here. 

Yeah, long shot TO me is 6 - 800 yards, FOR me is up to 300 - realistically 1 - 2225 or so yards. Not that much real estate I can get to here unless I get to use the sheriffs range, and that's only up to 400 yards. But that would be ok, if I had access. Got a Dem in the office and the local Marine Corps League Detachment was no longer allowed to shoot on their range those early Saturday mornings when nobody but the birds were awake. My only other option is to join a local range, But don't know their KD range, AND i really don't feel the need to pay $300 join fee and $150 a year to use. I would do the &150 yearly, I can make use of it enough, and I'd volunteer for upkeep and such. But $300 initiation? 🙄