• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Kicking around the idea of a RRA LAR 8. Would like some input........

Rojodiablo

So, accuracy is known to be good to great. Triggers are known to be good to great. Now, on to the other stuff:

Extractor abusing the brass. In real life, how many rounds before it is a non issue? I can tune it if need be, but if not.... how many rounds until it cleans itself up?

Bolt breakage. I have read some reports of previous bolt failures at low round counts. I tend to shoot a LOT. I have 2 sons who are late teen and in the 20's- they shoot a LOT. Real world shooting, are the issues resolved? I know the issue was more like a 5 year old thing, just want to be assured the parts are 20-30K cycle minimum.

FAL mags. I have read of double feeds, and tricky feed issues. Not my idea of a good time..... :o So which magazines are better; poly or steel, and do they need tuning or are they now GTG. I honestly do not know how recent the issue has shown itself, or if this was an issue of the past which has been rectified.

Please help me out with these specific questions. If there are any other issues I should know about, please let me know- be honest. Say "This bent, that fell off, the other thing was crooked....etc."

I'd like to lock this deal up by Friday evening! Thanks, Paul.

Brother Rojodiablo,had my Rock River Standard Operator since Nov. put only 400 rds. thru factory and mil surplus 0 FTF 0 FTE.Base of case had a small scuff you could barely feel,depending on manufacturer and not every case.It came with 1 new mag and picked up 5 used FN FAL mags.Freshen up mags with springs from Falcon but had to shape them to originals [left my hands sore] and 1 used mag had a broken follower and replaced from DS.Followed threads of others having issues,but I have had none.I love my RRA recently got a Palmetto upper 14.7 to put on RRA lower.5.56 has 3k rds.thru it 0 problems.Hope it helps.Good luck brother.

Thanks Unforgiven. My thought was, most issues were over 2 years old. That's a full development cycle for most manufacturers of just about anything. I figured that with such internet scrutiny, a lousy product would be beaten silly and crawl under a rock, or simply get fixed.

My assumption is there are no serious issues being posted up about the RRA 308 as of late. So, I am waiting to hear from the guy to send off some (More.....) money!!