• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hand guard stuck?

James0822

Howdy all!

I was hoping to get my Predator threaded for a comp but my smith just called to say come pick it up, he can't get the handguard loose. He has done a thousand ARs and he claims to have the right tools but can't budge it.

I'm not an AR expert at all! Should I find someone else, or is this a common trait with the LAR-8? Has anyone ran into this? Thinking I'll just get the vise block from RRA and get it done but I don't want to ruin the upper either.

What do you guys think?

James

While going to college I worked in my uncles hydraulic shop for a couple years. I have busted down 500-1,000 lb dump bed cylinders but the difference was I didn't worry much about damaging anything. Spray a litte paint and they were good to go.

I think I'll order the vise block and give it a shot. Thanks!

Wow it looks like forum member Hoot had the same issue! This maybe a little tougher then I originally thought.

I don't have a heat gun. I'm going to check with RRA and see if they use Loctite.

I asked the same question on the RRA Support Forum over at arfcom and Steve assured me they use only anti-seize, which was exactly what I discovered once I got that miserable thing off. Not my choice in anti-seize, but for sure not Loctite.

Did you ever see footage of those oil drillers adding a section of shaft. I suspect RRA uses one of those torque units to match up the next gas tube hole.  ;)

I've had mine on and off a dozen times using what I consider to be "prudent torque" now and I still can not get it "worked in" enough to line up to that original factory setting.

Life goes on...

Hoot

EDIT: A standard Bernzomatic torch will work as well. The finish is very heat tolerant as you would expect parkerizing to be.

EDIT: A standard Bernzomatic torch will work as well. The finish is very heat tolerant as you would expect parkerizing to be.

I agree. I had to use a propane torch to heat up the handguard on my LR308 in order to get it loose. The heat didn't affect the finish at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... picked up the upper from the smith and had him show me the strap wrench he uses. I see now why he couldn't bust it, pretty much a joke for any kind of real torque.

Came loose for me without heat. My shiny new 18" Ridgid might have had something to do with that though :)