• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AP4 overgassed?

1911a1

I just bought a '07 produced DPMS AP4 308 from my brother with less than 75 rounds through it. So far it's been 100% reliable. I sold a CETME I've owned for years to trade up to the 308 AR platform for Hog hunting etc.

I've been doing a lot of researching on running 7.62 AR's and I'm wonder if my AP4 is overgassed which seems to be common with this model.

The ejection pattern is in the 1:00 to 1:30 range with Port ammo. there is a little light wear on the lugs of the Bolt that I'll keep an eye on but nothing near the horror stories I've seen on the forums.  I suppose I need to try some differant ammo and see what it does.

anyhow I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Slash's heavy buffer/spring kit?

I'm also experiencing the gouges on the necks of the fired cases i've seen pictures of on here.

I can guess the fix but does anyone have a link to the thread about repairing that?

Thanks!

Not sure how to start , but all you mention is normal . If the rifle is 100% reliable , whats to fix , brass was never meant to be used again , so it only would matter to those of us who reload & I have not seen any thing yet to stop me from reloading any of it.

I had some from my 16" that were bent from the BCG smashing them up against the feed ramp & just pulled the bullet , removed the powder &  re-sized ,put the powder back in & bullet & the case was like new when fired .This from a CMMG lower that will not feed with P-mags , no problem with any steel mag , just Pmags .

If you want to put a heavy buffer in , well that's up to you . It may or may not help with normal wear of the components. Some say it will help in reducing recoil , not sure about that one .

The marks on the case are normal , from the barrel extension locking lugs .