• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

mid length gas system vs rifle length

Kicknazz

Hey another question for yall,

What is the difference between mid and rifle length gas systems besides less recoil?

Wanted to know if putting an adjustable gas block would make the rifle length pointless. And would it be overkill to go with a rifle length gas system, adj. gas block and a slash's buffer while running suppressed?

Read a post where some one stated that slash's buffer is a band aid and an adj. gas block is more of a fix.

I enjoy over analyzing thing and finding the best way to confuse every one else  ;D

Thanks for putting up with me,

Jake

I have used an adjustable gas block on one rifle to date. The rifle was a 300BLK with a lightened bolt carrier that I set up for 3 gun. I did not use a heavy buffer in that one.  for my application I found that the PRI adjustable worked as I had hoped and allowed me to set the gas impulse at the minimum that would cycle the action. This is a gun that I intend (had intended) to use with only one hand load. There are some members here that do not like the adjustable gas blocks but I found that the PRI suited my application well. Some say that if the gas system is suited to the gun (gas port in barrel correct size for the gas block location, and the caliber/load, there should be no need for adjusting the gas impulse with the block. In that context an adjustable gas block might also be considered a band aid for an over gassed gun. Most consider the .308 AR to be over gassed by design, when a suppressor is added the condition is aggrivated. I have used the heavy buffers and like them, others here feel that if the gun is set up properly they are not needed. They act by delaying the opening of the bolt slightly, which allows the pressure in the barrel to go down. In my opinion one of Slashes buffers is a good addition to a gun that you intend to run suppressed sometimes. Now, the question of using the adjustable GB with the suppressor, is another thing. I think that if You expect to be switching back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed operation, you would do better with something like the Noveske switchblock or equivilant. this is an adjustable gas block that has different settings, it is not infinitley adjustable like the screw type, but can be quickly switched back a forth from suppressed to non suppressed settings. Keep in mind, if you plan to shoot different loads and bullet weights from your gun, and 100% reliability is required, along with possibly having to go longer than each range session between cleanings, as you might in a combat scenario, you're not going to want to fine tune your gas impulse down to the bare minimum as you might with a competition gun with a lightened bolt carrier, which I also would not suggest for a gun that you plan to run suppressed.