• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Some firearms component manufacturers are just down right...

Guest LLArms

...awesome. Shows you that good hearts are still out there in the land of corporations and money.

When I get updated photos of our rifle I like to make the rounds and share the images with the various manufacturers of the parts we use in the build.  It gives them a chance to see unique ways their stuff is being used and helps me just spread our name a little bit more in the world.  I have never done any of this with the intention of getting free swag. T-Shirts, stickers, misc. novelty items are always cool, but I just like sharing the work.

Well one of these companies last night (I'll withhold the name for now) made mention they were a fan of our work.  The way it was said, I could not tell if they were just saying they really liked it, or if they were aware of us and our project before we even shared anything with them.

Long story short we were talking how I tried to locate some parts for our build, but everyone has been on back order for months now. I jokingly asked if they had any stashed away in the office I could buy, maybe some scratch/dent rejects I could re-finish if need be.

They respond by saying they are going to see about locating a pair of these parts to mail to me AND see about sending me a much more fancy stock (mono-pod built in, if that helps narrow down the manufacturer) than I have now. All in all, these parts are pushing a $600.00 price tag.

I was floored.  The good news is, this is the second time something of this nature has happened. I continue to be amazed at how awesome some of the parts/gun manufacturers are out there. Most of them will actually hold a conversation with me in private channels to boot.

I'm still working on getting Magpul's attention - maybe one day.  :righton:

The only thing I can attribute to the success of getting my foot in the door is my 9 to 5 job, while technical in nature, is nothing more than an 8 hour shift in social engineering. I guess it has trained me on how to speak with people on a business level.

<thumbsup>

D,

I'm glad companies are willing to work with you and recognizing your work.

If I'm correct about that stock, don't do it! Don't cheapen your design with freebies. I know how much THEY think their stuff is worth, but I've seen and played with it, and it's not worth what they think.

A store owner I know bought 5 when they first were released. He couldn't sell them for anything. He lost his ass selling them to another shop for $10ea under his own cost. Poor flashing/molding, cheap plastic, weak attachments. I don't know which "operators" they got to say these were TierOne quality.

You have a great design that uses high quality parts. The guy that buys your rifle isn't going to be the casual plinker. You are going to get avid shooters who recognize your quality at first glance.

I'm not poopin on all the products from that company, just their stocks.

It's not like I am entering a contract to exclusively use their parts.  <laughs>

I like to form opinions first hand - and if Q/A was a problem, maybe newer versions have improved upon it. I get pretty mixed reviews via the net on this product..

I'm wondering if the negative feedback would apply for a bench only application verses a field application?

I've sometimes noticed products getting bad reviews when put under heavy stress - something a majority of us don't come close to. Guess we will find out - the gesture is the important part.

Now to just get invited to SHOT as a vendor...  I think that would be my gun nerd fantasy.

I wouldn't even know what to say to people coming up to my booth.

"Uh yea, cliff notes: big, heavy, mean looking;  can you pardon me for a moment I need to go drool over at the other vendor booths.  I'll leave this low quality poster printer out of myself in my place, feel free to ask any additional questions to it you may have."

8)