• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Zeroing LAR-8 carry handle / stand alone rear sight

TKB

What's the standard zeroing method for the irons? I've done this with 5.56 AR's before, but with the different trajectory of the 7.62, I'm guessing the "near zero" will be at a different distance.

Has anyone tried to set one of these up using something like the IBZ setup some people use with the 5.56 sights?

Thanks for the links. They're both excellent. :)

You're hitting on exactly what I'm talking about in that RIBZ link. I have used that method to setup more than one 5.56 carry handle type rear sight, as I love being able to use the smaller aperture for the 50 yard / 200 meter zero. What I'm looking for here is info on setting up the LAR-8 carry handle iron sight the same way, as this sight is just like the standard ar15 one, in that it's lowest setting is the 8/3 position, and I'd like to be able to use the smaller aperture for a 200 meter zero, as opposed to using the larger aperture (I find it harder to be as accurate with the larger aperture).

Has anyone here tried re-setting the drum to bottom out -2 or -3 clicks below 8/3 to get a 200 meter zero? I'm guessing that once I know how many clicks below 8/3 I need to go, I can just zero at 25 meters for a 200 yard zero the way I have done with my FAL and my HK91 in the past, right?

(edited to add... now that I think about it, the ar15 carry handle sights have finer adjustment than the standard A2 sight, so when setting those up for the IBZ/RIBZ, you allow for twice as many clicks below 8/3 as with the standard A2 sight. Either way, I'm not sure of the number of clicks that would be needed for the LAR-8 carry handle sight.)