• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please explain the different muzzle devices

GS455

For some this will be a question showing my complete ignorance.  Also, not sure where exactly to post this.

I have never completely understood the function of different muzzle devices. I'm not talking about silencers or noise suppressors. Rather things called flash hiders, compensators and brakes, etc. What are the definitions of each and what else is out there? I've come across websites selling things guaranteed to keep your muzzle down but may make it louder and may or may not affect flash. Some are open ended twisting "vortex" style.  Some are sharp and jagged as though the muzzle could be a weapon.  Some of the boutique aftermarket stuff can be quite pricey.

I have a couple ARs with the "birdcage", One FAL with a long 5 slotted hider, one in a shorter cylindrical form having a few rows of angled holes, an M1A and M76 with the long slotted style, an AK47 with a fat cylinder and one large hole side to side.

Can anyone direct me to a decent explanation of the various muzzle devices and their effectiveness at what they claim to do?

Holy cow.  JACKPOT !  That's exactly what I was looking for .  Just had hand surgery so I will view tomorrow when I'm laid out on the couch. 

You're a regular here.  Do you know how to change the boards  appearance settings on my profile? The default is all black and very cluttered.  Very difficult for me to read and navigate.  I'd like to at least lighten it up.

Its a very different forum format from most.  Can't figure out how to change very many settings. 

Thanks if you're able to help.