• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 forged lowers

Hi All,

As some of you know, I have a small company that makes AR15 - 80% lowers. I want to also offer 308 lower receivers (80%’ers)  Although I am a new member here, I have already  had the pleasure of talking to a couple of you about 308 lowers.  I am posting this tonight in hopes of getting feedback from any of you that care to respond.

Objective:

1) I want to offer a 308 (AR style)  80% lower in a forging, much like a standard AR15 forged lower.

2) I want the price to be close to  the AR15 line of lowers. ($120-$140)

3) I want it to be DPMS compatible.

4) I want it forged and heat treated- 7075- T6 aluminum.

5) I want it readily available.

6) I can not make it an Armalite AR10 exact copy (nor do I want to).

I have been talking to a forging company about this project.  They are willing to produce the necessary tooling (forging molds) and supply me with as many as I might need. They have requested of me that I supply them with the CAD drawings needed to make the molds. I can get my hands on a few lowers that I can spec out and produce the needed CAD drawings.

My question for all of you:

1) Am I correct in  my thinking that these should be DPMS compatible?  If so, why. (or why not?) 

2) If it is DPMS compatible, that opens doors to other upper manufactures, doesn’t it?

3) Will the same 80% 308 lower be suitable of the SR-308 uppers

4) Do you know of other upper “kits” that could work with this lower?

5) Are there specific features that you would like to see on a 308 lower? If so, I'd love to hear your ideas.  This is the time to include cool features.

Any suggestions or ideas will really be appreciated.  And if you think I am crazy, I am OK with that as well.  :)

Thanks all and I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Larry Myers

Colfax Tactical

http://www.colfaxtactical.com

530-346-6494

Email: sales@colfaxtactical.com

Nothing wrong with making them DPMS compatible or for that matter Armilite compatible .

There does seem to be more of the DPMS type out there ,probably because of Magpul mags ,but that may change if Magpul See's a demand enough for them .

Not totally sure ,but I think all 308 type lowers ,in the DPMS format, are made from Billet . Not sure why ,you might want to look into that one .

My DPMS & CMMG lowers are both made from Billet.

Hi Survivalshop

Thank you for your feedback.

"Not totally sure ,but I think all 308 type lowers ,in the DPMS format, are made from Billet . Not sure why ,you might want to look into that one ."

I believe it is because they have not had the molds made.  They probably set up originally for billet and just haven't changed.  Their quantities are surely large and they probably figure, "why change if it works? Once a production CNC set up, programming, tooling, and run are designed, a lot of money has been spent.

But then I am only guessing.

Thanks again

Larry