• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which .308 Upper For My DPMS Lower

I currently have a DPMS LR-308 that was mainly used for hunting. It's got the heavy bull barrel, no forward assist, and the metal handguard that I do NOT like.

I am looking to set it up more like my AR platform. Hopefully, I can keep things under 9 pounds altogether.

Is my best bet a AP4 upper from Midwayusa:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=933986

I don't like the hand guard on that but hopefully I can swap that out.

Thanks for helping me out.

Well, maybe I should go back to the drawing board. Maybe I should start a new topic and call it which AR-10 for me?

Now I'm back to square one. Do I want an Armalite AR-10 or should I go with another option.

I would like to keep things around $1200 or so and I would like something fairly light. I already have an M1A loaded that I like but it also is too heavy.

Thanks.

I saw that one and what made me choose the other one at first was that the one you linked to says "heavy contour barrel". I am trying to keep this light weight so that is what made me lean towards the other one.

That said, I definitely like the handguard better on the A3.

So, now I'm at do I spend the $640 on that new upper or try to sell the DPMS I have now (I could maybe get $750 I'm guessing) and then try to get an armalite, and if so, which one.

I saw that one and what made me choose the other one at first was that the one you linked to says "heavy contour barrel". I am trying to keep this light weight so that is what made me lean towards the other one.

That said, I definitely like the handguard better on the A3.

So, now I'm at do I spend the $640 on that new upper or try to sell the DPMS I have now (I could maybe get $750 I'm guessing) and then try to get an armalite, and if so, which one.

i would not be afraid of the "heavy contour" barrel. mine has that and it is not really that heavy. i think it is there fancy way of justifying not putting the m-4 notch in it....

if it was me i would not sell one rifle for 750 to go buy another one for 1200 when you could keep the 750 dollar rifle and then get a 640 upper and be in a total similar to buying just the one newer armalite and have two uppers you can setup differently for different moods/purposes.

my dream is to get one upper that has a 20" or so fluted heavy barrel with a break for long long range shooting and then keep my 16" for hunting and closer range that way you can get the best of both worlds out of one gun...  just my 2 cents though....

What about just replacing my barrel and handguard with something that works better for me instead of replacing the whole upper.

I thought I read somewhere that I could get a Troy handguard which I think would fit the bill nicely. What else would I need and how much would I be talking?

What about just replacing my barrel and handguard with something that works better for me instead of replacing the whole upper.

I thought I read somewhere that I could get a Troy handguard which I think would fit the bill nicely. What else would I need and how much would I be talking?

I was going to suggest that earlier but that can get pretty pricey too. Your choice of handguard will really influence your final cost. If you want free float with no rails  it wont be expensive but if you want a decent railed model and a barrel youll be pushing $600 and up.

What model is your LR-308? lets see a picture  <thumbsup>