• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

headspace

charlie52usaf

hello everyone. have not been here in a long while, but want to throw something out there. this is not about the 308 platform, it is about the 223. i am building my second rifle and i am have an issue with headspace. i have a dpms ss 20 inch barrel that i can not get to headspace. my bcg is from wmd and when i check for headspace, it will not close on the no gauge which is good, but it will not close on the go gauge either. i have a new bolt that i received today (jp enhanced) and i used that and i still have the same issues. but if i put a dummy round in the chamber  it will close just fine. so i put my wmd bolt back in with the same results. i have another bolt from midway coming which is a dpms which i will try next. if that does not work i will be truly stumped. so what i am asking for is, does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong or what i am doing wrong. this is my second build as an rookie, which on my first i had no problems what so ever. if i get this handled then it will be on to my 308 build. thanks for anyones help and forgive me for bring up a 223 in this discussion, since i know this is about the 308.