• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Great bore guide for a 308 AR

DocLarsen

Just thought I would let you guys know that Possum Hollow's #61 bore guide, listed as being for an HK 91, works perfectly in my DPMS LAR-10.  With the solvent port on it, it is even better.  I used it to pre-clean the barrel in preparation for Tubb's Final Finish and Throat Maintenance bore lapping. I bought it on clearance from Midway for <$9.00.  The Possum Hollow Chart shows #83 for the SR-25/AR-10, but the chart on Midway didn't show a number for them.  So, I went ahead an bought this one on a hunch and it paid off.

DocLarsen

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What I use for a rod guide is a fired partial sized case, remove primer and lathe drill through primer hole with a drill bit that is just slightly larger than the cleaning rod.  If I really want to get fancy, I size the neck of the case neck down to inside diameter just slightly larger than the guide rod.  That way, the rod is center to the bore, and held in good alignment to center at the chamber throat.  Slide the case onto the rod, then attach brush or jag...start patched jag into throat and slide the case on the rod up behind....centering the rod to the bore and throat.  No damage that way and the rod is held at two points.  I like it better than the sloppy guide rods but, I don't pore solvent down the bore....I use bore foam with plastic tube larger than bore diameter...insert up to chamber neck, hold it there and fill the barrel....stand barrel on end and let the foam work itself down the rifling and out the muzzle.  No pouring, simple and very effective.