• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Light Weight Handguard: KeyMod or M-Lok?

912dawg

Hey guys I'm planing my first .308 build. 18" barrel that I'd like to be able to use for hunting and some occasional target shooting. I've seen some other threads on light weight handguard recommendations. I was wondering if their are any advantages in choosing one over the other(KeyMod or M-Lok)? I honestly don't foresee going crazy with many attachments. Probably just a bipod for target shooting. As always, thanks for everyone's input.

Depends.  My personal opinion - M-LOK is easier to machine, so I think it's going to go further in the future, and that's based on a manufacturing standpoint.  Keymod came out first, and a bunch of companies jumped on it, for accessory manufacturing.  Right now, there is more out there - for accessories - in the Keymod format.  I think M-LOK will eclipse that in the future, though.  Time will tell.

You can buy an M-LOK handguard, pick up a pic-rail section for it, and attach anything you want to that pic rail section.  In the future, you might see more specialized stuff for it.  You can't really go wrong either way.  Kinda like gambling, here...  but I think M-LOK is the way to go, overall.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

As stated above M-LOK is easier to machine and let's not forget it's a Magpul design. There are going to be lots of options for it. Geissele only uses M-Lok for their rail products I believe.

Keymod was adopted by Kac, BCM, and I'm sure a few more so it should remain in production for quite a while. I do wonder if the market will support both indefinitely. Time will tell. For now I say your safe with either for support.