• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Gen 2 Bull

(pics below)

There is not a lot of first hand information out about this series of rifles yet. I have seen quite a bit about the Recon but not much else. After using my current DPMS Gen 2 rifle in a course recently I would like to try the Recon.

- 24" bull barrel (0.936") stainless steel, 1:10 twist

- Tube handguard

- 0.308/7.62 x 51

- Vortex Viper HS LR 4 - 16 x 50

- JP adjustable gas block

- Geissele G2S trigger

- ATI Scorpion pistol grip

- Magpul PRS stock

- Blackhawk 14.5" - 29" bipod

- Painted for scrub oak in northern Utah

- During the rifle course I used a Blackhawk three point sling...as a two point sling

- >15 pounds

- >44 inches long

I ran it in a carbine/handgun course a couple of weeks ago. To my regular strength programming, I had to add an extra training routine specific to lifting and driving a heavy rifle. I am glad I did. It is clearly going to be slower than an AR 15 at half the weight but it was ridiculously fun to shoot!

It is a sub MOA rifle but I haven't found its limit yet. I'm still learning to shoot and the better I get the more accurate and precise it becomes. I recently bought the Magpul Dynamics video, "The Art of the Precision Rifle" and I look forward to shooting my rifle one mile as they shoot in that video... someday. The reliability is almost 100% - I had a bunch of double feeds during the course but that was with the stock mag I suspect. Also, the batch of ammo I was using was causing double feeds the weeks before which I got rid of by adjusting the gas block (don't know how that one works but it did). The problems with double feeds may be due to the ammo and bolt bounce or something. I don't know - most likely magazine malfunction. Once I used only the Magpul mags the rifle ran fine. Magpul mags are totally reliable - but I have to sand down the follower to get the bolt to lock back on this particular rifle.

It is an awesome rifle, fun to shoot, and would make a good weapon for shooting in roles not CQB. I've shot it to 800 yards so far but do not have grouping data. I've tested PMC and Fiocchi ammo. I recommend an adjustable gas block to tune to each batch of ammo. The last batch of PMC was super hot so recoil and bolt action was obnoxious. The weird thing is lately the free floating pin started leaving a teeny dimple on the primer when feeding before firing.

The machining out of the box was "ok". I mean, it's a production gun so what do I expect? I did a little polishing of the BCG lands and underside of the BCG for smoother movement and polished the feed ramp because it was gouging the bullet. I use heavy grease (but not greasing heavily) on the moving parts. The factory trigger was terrible. It had a heavy, scratchy pull. Even after polishing out the sear notch, I only got one smooth pull and then it was notched again. The receivers fit well, though not tightly. The rifle is easy to break down.

The advantage of the DPMS Gen 2s is the series of new features for reliability - monolithic BCG/gas key, new material in extractor spring, dual ejector (another reason you need an adjustable gas block or else you'll be hiking to pick up your brass), rounded bolt lugs for smoother seat/unseat, and some other stuff. Oh yeah, the beveled mag well is nice.

The disadvantage for DPMS Gen 2s is compatibility. The dimensions are between AR10 and AR15, so swapping out moving parts will be more miss than hit. Also, you can't swap uppers, lowers, or barrels. DPMS says barrels should be available 2016. Magpul B.A.D. lever does not fit, JP SCS also does not fit (see that story in a different post). You're stuck with the BCG, receivers, and barrel for now.

Here is a video of the final drill with the rifle just for funsies at the urban rifle course held by CTIA at PMAA in SLC... Let me get this out there: I have little idea what I am doing. It was awesome and I learned a bunch of cool stuff though! We covered shooting and moving, multiple targets, and other things that are not for beginners really. 

post-15766-0-36328800-1438213419_thumb.j

post-15766-0-69149000-1438213546_thumb.j

Edited by perpetualwhitebelt

• 6 months later...

Rifle Update

I got a Caldwall Dead Shot rifle tripod for my birthday. This thing is sweet (once it is set up properly for the rifle). It's got enough adjustments on it to make even my rifle comfortable. It sure sits a lot more still than I do unassisted. Dry firing is fun with this. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a Manfrotto with a Hog Saddle.

I bought 640 rounds of ZQI on sale for barely 300$. It is hot ammo - 45 grains. I was having every malfunction possible shooting this stuff - even with a JP adjustable gas block, but it is accurate ammo. I talked to ZQI who referred me to a technical consultant. I replaced the stock action spring with a Tubbs CS flat coil spring and the rifle works great now. The rifle action also feels a lot more smooth. The bolt was opening early and that was doing all sorts of fun stuff to my rifle. Semi auto .308s are interesting in that they have timing issues measured in milliseconds when not set up properly. I then had to replace the firing pin because the business side was so beat up. A lot of primer fragments had been jammed in and out of it from the problem described. 

I recently bought a Sightmark Ultra Shot Pro Spec NV QD reflex sight from Amazon (on sale for 95$). I put it on the Bull and sighted it for 25 yards. It is awesome. If I do that rifle course again I am using this sight. I have a QD mount on the current scope - which hasn't lost zero when removed and attached again. I felt like having a short range emergency set up would be a good back up plan. I love this optic. I had an idea to sell off the Viper Vortex and buy an EOTech reflex and magnifier. Then I'd have to learn how to shoot like those open sight competitors. I don't know if my eye sight is up to that. I have to use shoot'n'sees at 100 yards.

I also bought a box of Hornady Tap FPD rounds... which after I purchased did not make any sense because any .308 round is going to bust up a human body. Is it really necessary to buy an expensive round if it isn't a competition round? 

My next trip out will be to experiment with switching out the long and short range optics several times to see what kind of POI changes I get. The lesson I learned at the square range yesterday was that sighting is a two man job if you really want to do it right. But we're going to head out to the desert and I'm going to do this experiment correctly.

Finally, I bought a JP recoil eliminator (in the mail). If you've never seen it, it's like the opposite of a suppressor to bystanders. I'm sure I'll be spending more time in the desert or on the farm and less on the square range around other people once this is installed.

I still haven't found the precision limit. I think it is a sub MOA rifle but I am not yet there. Putting bullets through pre existing holes is not one of my training goals. Hey maybe I'll start a thread about training goals...

• 3 months later...

The JP recoil eliminator is awesome! The reticle does not move when shooting prone off a properly loaded bipod. I bet a child could shoot this rifle with no problem. They are loud though, but I was going for zero muzzle flip not peace and quiet. I don't give a poop about the noise. It's a gun. Guns go boom. I find it stupid when people with suppressors get all snotty the rest of us don't care or want to spend the loot on a can. They don't reduce the noise THAT much, and there is still quite a bit of muzzle flip compared to a great brake. The JP does reduce recoil as advertised, though it's greatest attribute is no muzzle flip. Follow up shots are fast. Precision Rifle Blog has quite a bit of info on muzzle treatments and this brake comes out on top for staying on target. Other than the 'nice-to-haves' below, this rifle is rocking. It took one year to get it tuned. It's got over a thousand rounds through it now.

Wish list:

Hog Saddle w/tripod

full length Pic rail on new handguard

FLIR

Mountain full of coyotes

Edited by perpetualwhitebelt

• 2 months later...