• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

which buffer spring

JnyQst

Hey y'all,

I have a LR-308 pattern lower I am putting together. I've decided on the POF Anti Tilt 7 Position Buffer Tube. For those not familiar, the 7 position has an inner depth of about 7 3/4" per POF. I went with that one so I could get a standard H3 carbine buffer. I'm getting a LBE Unlimited H3 Carbine Buffer.

My question is, since I'm going with the longer buffer tube, do I get a .308 Rifle Length Buffer spring instead of a carbine length spring?

Greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

JQ

Stay with POF 308 Spring & Buffer , if using their Receiver Extension, what ever they use for a Carbine system .

Not sure what Buffer they use or the length of it , but the Buffer Spring should be a Carbine length, Rifle length will probably too long  , not sure what POF uses .When you start mixing & matching different Manufacturers components , you can expect fitment/action issues . POF has a lot of proprietary components .

Edited by survivalshop

Thanks!

I heard that about mixing manufacturers but the lower is not from DPMS. It's a third party 80% lower patterned after the LR-308. I bought a DPMS lower parts kit & the magazine release button wouldn't work. Thankfully the third party had discovered this & supplied a button that works.

My point being, there's no guarantee that DPMS parts will fit & their carbine buffer is only 3.2oz. For what I understand, unless you run a rifle gas system, that's too light for anything shorter. Uppers I'm looking at have mid-length gas systems so I wanted a heavier buffer. I also want an anti tilt system & the POF buffer tube will allow you to use regular buffers. Their 7 position anti tilt buffer tube, which has 7 3/4" depth vs 7", will allow me to use regular length carbine buffers vs the shorty .308 carbine buffers which there are less variety from what I've seen. The LBE Unlimited is 5.6oz with 3 Tungsten weights & standard carbine length. I'm pretty sure that if i go the route I plan, I will need a rifle length buffer spring.

I greatly appreciate your input but I think I will go with what I plan & I will report what happens so someone else can have that info. I hear your warning & if I run in to trouble its my fault.

JQ

SS,

Thanks for your question! Help me realize how little I know. I planned on a DI gas system not knowing that's what it was. I'm sure I have come across a gas piston system without realizing the difference. Didn't realize all the anti tilt I was seeing was specific to the gas piston system. After your question I went looking for info. Learned what you said, carrier tilt is a gas piston problem. Started looking at different buffer tubes. I still like the idea of a 7 3/4" inner depth tube but am going to do some more looking to see what other options are out there. Thought I knew them all. Did find dimensions on POF's .308 carbine spring & it is compatible with their 7 position tube.

Going to do some more homework. Greatly appreciate your replies! Thanks!

JQ