• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SI Defense or Falkor receiver set?

912dawg

Hey everyone. Long time no see. I started buying parts for my first build last year around this time with the help from everyone on this site. The receiver set was going to be one of my last purchases because of the high price compared to my other components. Anyway, some things came up and I had to put the build on hold. I've recently been able to start looking into finally finishing. 

Last year I had decided on the SI-Defense Ambi .308 receiver set. From everything I had read up to that point, this was top of the line, which was what I wanted. Again, I didn't order the set last year because of the cash outlay required. Fast forward to April 2016, and I'm back in the game. I googled the SID set and see it show up under Falkor Defense. I sent an email to them asking about the differences between the two sets offered(SID and Falkor). They are the same price. The Falkor set is listed at a lighter weight. Josh replied to my email saying he would buy the Falkor branded set because they "are tighter and have the latest revisions."

Does anyone have any experience with both branded sets? If not, have you seen or heard any negatives with the newly branded Falkor Defense ambi 308 receiver set? They are both priced the same. The only difference I can find on their website is the weight. Falkor is lighter. Any ideas on how they reduced the weight? As always, thanks in advance for your input and help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Originally I liked the looks of the SID set better, but for less money and more parts, I think I'll go with the Mega. They both seem to be top of the line. I've had two correspondences with SID/Falkor asking specifics. Neither response were very in depth. I even mentioned that I was considering the Mega Maten in my second email. They never brought it up in their response. Nonetheless try to differentiate themselves to me or justify the higher price. I asked them about the difference in their two brands, and the response I received was "The Falkor sets are tighter and have the latest revisions. I would buy the Falkor set if I were you." To me, if I had a superior product that could command a higher price, the first thing out of my mouth would be my product's superior qualities. IOW, what are said revisions???

I think I'm sold on the Mega set. I kind of worked backwards on my build. The receiver set is my last major purchase (other than the suppressor). Originally I was going to buy my scope last, but I had an unexpected surprise. I run my family's pawn shop, and one of our distributors ran an unannounced one-day sale( on 4/20) on Burris products, which is what I had my eye on. Got the XTRII 3-15x50 MOA (illuminated) for $749 and the P.E.P.R. 34mm one-piece mount for $79. Had to jump on it. Saved over $300 off retail. Anyway, a couple more paychecks and I should be able to buy the Mega receiver set. Wish we could order them through the shop! Thanks again for you guys' input. Felt like a lepor for a couple of weeks. 

11 hours ago, 912dawg said:

Wash, thanks for taking the time to help a rookie. This is what I found before my posts tonight: http://www.jsesurplus.com/megaarms-9.aspx

$510 plus shipping. This set doesn't mention being "ambi," though. Any idea if this is the same receiver set as the one in your link minus the Handguard?

This is the one I have...no ambi.....Wash   either one is fine

heres an ambi          https://www.rainierarms.com/mega-maten-308-upper-ambi-lower-ch-combo

Edited by washguy