• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Piston build

survivalshop

I have the Superlative Arms Piston system coming & should be here Thursday & here is a list I have on the way .

Tactical Machining Upper & Lower Receivers ( I have a couple sitting around , also the Carbine Receiver extension ,in mil spec )

Superlative Piston system , clamp on, 0.750"

Midwest FDE G3 M-lok 12" Hand Guard 

16" Socom , Mid Length Gas, Barrel /5.56 chamber ( this has got to be the least expensive barrel I have ever put on an AR , but its for testing & I don't care , as long as it shoots )

Geissele ,Super Braided spring & Tungsten loaded Buffer

Nitrated Bolt for the Piston Bolt Carrier (  not from  D.Wilson, I got this one from Brownells because i was ordering from there , but I want a NIB one from DW. before I'm done testing )

I have two Stocks on the way , which I will test ,though the FDE will probably stay with this rifle because of the Hand Guard color match. MOE SL-K ( BLK ) & a ACS-L (FDE )

ALG single Chamber Muzzle Brake 

And of course a CQB Mecharmor charging Handle , my last one , going to have to get a few more later .

I have all the little things sitting around , including a std A2 pistol grip , which it will be replaced with a Magpul at some point .

My first Piston AR & can't wait to put it together & test it . 

Edited by survivalshop

5 hours ago, HotRod308 said:

I did the same thing except with the direct impingement, i made the original bolt work without gas rings.The action operates the same as with gas rings but much smoother, absolutely no drag unlocking or locking up.   

Not sure what you mean by the same thing , this is a Piston operating system , not a DI system .

Both systems use the same Bolt , just how BCG is forced backwards for cycling the action , be it Direct Gas or a Piston Rod . With the DI system , the Gas Rings seal the gas momentarily to cause reward movement of the BCG , with the Piston system, there is no real need for the Gas Rings , maybe help with alignment of the Bolt in the Carrier , like a bearing. 
  Now you got me thinking of why not a Bolt modified like yours , not needing the Gas Rings , for a Piston system , that is . Thing is the Gas Rings are a wear item , along with the Cam Pin & the Bolt its self . Makes one think about it . With a DI system , you could wear out the Bolt & Bolt Carrier at the same time , with out gas Rings .

I seem to remember you posting on your modification some where , maybe here  or another Forum or was that someone else .

Yep again, you have a good memory. I did post it a long time ago. The bolt only wears on the same places as with bolts with gas rings. The rear end where the firing pin enters the bolt is the rear bearing so the part I had welded and machined never contacts the inner bore of the carrier. With adj gas block and slowing down the banging back and forth, the carrier lasts much longer, cam pins don't cost much. I can put my bolt into 3 different carriers and it still functions. 

MY 308 I suppose has 2200 to 3000 rounds and my 6.5 Creedmoor has a good 1800 rounds, 260 rem about 1500 or so.  I sent one of my BCG to a friend in Ohio to use in his new 308 match rifle. He fired some 500 rounds through so far without any malfunctions so far. He's going to send his bolt to get done and send mine back. I have an Ar 15 done as well, cycles just fine.

Thats great & hope it works out for you , but I would much rather have a doz. Gas Ring sets wear out , then one Bolt or Carrier & in my experience , that is what will happen & I believe I said as much the last time you brought this up. Keep us informed on the progress , it is interesting , ya never know , there are a lot of pistons with out separate rings for sealing . There is a lot more to those rings then just sealing the gas piston for proper cycling . The Firing Pin is also a sort of valve , both in actuating a seal & relieving gas , like a relieve valve . Look closely at the ports in the Bolt carrier .

Its all about cost in my opinion .