• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Does accurizing always mean reduced reliability?

Yoshi

New here and don't know much about the internals and workings of rifles/pistols.  (Hope that changes soon)

From what I've been reading, and my feable attempt to extrapolate data, it seems the more accurate you want to get your rifle, the less reliable it becomes with respect to "eating anything" and functioning while dirty.  True?

If so, what's the mid-ground?

I have not experienced any reduction in reliability due to modifications related to accuracy. The accuracy game is all about consistent repeatability, knowing exactly where that projectile is going to strike.

In the AR family, I have built one A2 National Match  set up and an A4 with a HBAR upper, w/ YHM FFT, and a 2lb. JP trigger and a LRT-308.

this is based on what I've read more than what I've experienced personally, but the reduced reliability that people describe seems to come from "tight" chambered semi auto guns that sometimes have failure to feed or extract/eject. The benchrest bolt guys like to have their barrels chambered tight, because it has been proven  to make the gun more consistant shot to shot with hand loaded match ammo. Now if your looking for bolt gun accuracy out of an AR, you have to do what they do when building a gun. but having to be meticulous with you ammo loading comes with the territory. If you were to build a 1000 yd benchrest AR and not hand load for it your wasting the money to build the gun to that standard. The last two barrels I had made, the barrel mfg asked what my intended purpose was for the gun. I was told that they could chamber it tighter but it might be more finicky as far as what would chamber and feed without trouble. If your buying an off the shelf barrel for your build, it will be chambered so that it will not give you function problems. On the other hand, if your planning to have a barrel made to your specs, the barrel maker should discuss your needs and what level of accuracy you hope to achieve and what level of reliability you HAVE to have. It's like I said before, no one gun can do everything the best.