• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Saving for a .308 day

muldoon

Howdy all,

I'm saving up for my first .308.  Yes, this another one of those question's.  I want to stay under $1500.  This will be primarily used for the range, but I would also like it so I can take up hunting.  I wavered between a 6.8 spc and a 6.5 Grendel as I would only have to change uppers.  After talking to one of the local gun dealers, I'm convinced that .308 is the way to go (terminal ballistics).  Is an Armalite the way to go?  I don't see any 18" barrels.  I'm not an armorer, so this would have to be GTG out of the box.

Your asking a loaded question there. It's like asking someone which you should buy Ford or Chevy. Since you don't plan to build, and your main parameters seem to be price and barrel length, I would let those things guide you more than Armalite or DPMS. I see that another member has a post (I think in fighting rifle?) saying that he bought a DPMS for 1K. One thing you might want to consider is that there seems to be a wider range of aftermarket stuff made for the DPMS platform than the Armalite, but if you don't plan to ever switch any parts (not likely if you keep reading this forum) than that will not matter to you. One other thing, the Magpul Pmags are very popular and are only available for the DPMS platform guns, not the Armalite.

You against a 16" barrel? Im not sure there's a standard offering in 18" from Armalite. DPMS has this as an option.

You can also call Armalite they might be able to give you exactly what you want. I think the custom shop had some 18" barrels. Probablybust your cost limit by a couple hundred bucks though.

What's the max range you anticipate shooting?

I have found some Armalites @ $1200+ new.  If their sale (usually the 4th of july-rumor) makes uppers & lowers even less then I could get one for a negligible price difference.  Most everything I read has been of the tone that while happy w/DPMS, if the price was closer the AR was the better choice.  I would like to get one w/18" barrel length due to what little internet chatter and ballistics charts (velocity from barrel) I've read seemed to make an impact on range and terminal force.  I would like to have the capacity to realistically drop midsized game @ 300-400yds.  Am I on the right line of reasoning?  :)

Honestly at that range I still think your fine with the 16"

Armalite is always running specials. Not sure if Armalite guy asnswers PM's are not but you can certainly try getting some info out of him about what's coming up. Armalite does frequent special runs.

I would say Armalite is probably a little more consistant than DPMS but as Jgun pointed out the PMAGS alone often sway guys to something of a DPMS pattern even if not an actual DPMS (SI Defense as en example).

Lastly guys are snatching up Bushmaster's under a grand. That leaves quit a bit of cash to put towards better glass.

If any of these guys were making crap they would not be supplying global military contracts and they would be out of business.

At the end of the day if it shoots good and goes bang when you pull the trigger it's all good. If I was planning for war I would get a KAC.

Do what works for you.

Thanks alot for the advice.  I kind of unconsciously forgot about a scope.  I guess I was thinking about crossing that bridge later (more gun now) :auto:. I know I couldn't afford anything for a loooooooong time w/the KAC (how much is that $2500-$4000?).  They are beautiful though  <thumbsup>.

My point with the KAC was unless your planning for war don't sweat it and look for a deal.

One of the reasons I did this site was to get away from the elitists and extreme brand loyalty that affects some and makes others feel their purchases are less adequate.

Paper, steel and flesh have no way of knowing what hit them

Well said, and although this may apply to a greater extent with handguns than with rifles because as the range increases manufacturing deficiencies tend to have a more significant effect, I've personally seen some of the worlds best competition shooters do things with a stock Glock than most people can't match with the most expensive hand built pistol. That's were building an AR becomes so desirable. If you build a rifle based on a top of the line barrel mounted to a quality receiver, most of the other components can be initially bought cheaply (relatively) and upgraded later. The only possible flaw to that approach (IMO) is that you may not recoup as much of your investment from a homebuilt vs an off the shelf factory assembled rifle should you decide to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally ordered my .308! <thumbsup> Now I wait  <munch>.  I decided on the Armalite 16" AR-10(T) CARBINE 7.62 SST. BLK w/forward assist.  I'm happy w/the price, but now I need rings, optics, buttstock, etc.  Does anybody know if those fiber/tubes allow for bi pods, attachments, etc?  When I get it, I will post pictures once I figure out how.  By the way, I am really happy (can you tell?). :banana: