• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

9mm primer differences

bubbas4570

My question has to do with anyone who has actually used standard AND magnum primers in their 9mm reloads.

I know all the standard advice when going to mag primers from a standard primer in handloads,

What I want to know is how much actual difference there really is in the pressures developed in a 9mm with mag vs standard primer, and if you lowered you powder charge, and by how much (if at all) to keep the same pressures/velocities.

Back during the Great 2008 Primer Shortage, I was using magnum primers for everything.  Including 9mmx19.

I just started at starting powder loads, as there was a pretty good range of powder drops on the powder I was using.  They worked, no high pressure signs, cycled the pistols, ejected, bullets on target.

With standard primers and using W231, minimum powder charge for 125gr RNL won't cycle reliably feed the next round but will eject the empty from my XD9 but will cycle everything else.

Hope that helps.