• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 reload cost benefit analysis

FreeMan

Forgive me for starting a new topic if this already has its own thread. I did a search for this and nothing came up. 

Basically, I considered reloading .308 & 5.56 and from what I can surmise it just isn't worth it. Any savings seems negligible and offset by the time and cost of equipment.  My thoughts were confirmed by this article I came across researching the subject. 

There is something to be said about the self-reliant aspect of it. Being able to churn out your own ammo in the event of a melt down is attractive. 

Am I missing something?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/07/jim-barrett/reloading-a-costbenefit-analysis-part-two-2/

If you are reloading just to be able to plink more then you are correct it is not worth your time and money to reload those two calibers. If you are reloading to get the most accuracy out of your gun then it is worth your time and money.

The benefit to reloading is tuning a load for a particular rifle and controlling your own ammo crisis resiliency.

1 hour ago, FreeMan said:

Thanks for the reply.

Being able to reload for pennies on the dollar is a pipe dream I guess. 

Reloading to create ultra reliable loads sounds complicated and time consuming 

Its an addictive hobby that is very rewarding . I can make a loading ( as said above ) for a Rifle , better then any factory ammo , as long as the Barrel is in good shape , plus the shear verity of load variables that are not available for any particular caliber .

The time & tolls to make precision ammo for a rifle is costly top start up , but then they pay for themselves & you can save some $$ . Its is somewhat labor & time consuming process , but you also have pride in rolling your own .

Its not for everyone , but if you have a friend that reloads , see if you can help or try it & see if it interests you , before you go out & lay hard earned funds to start up .

21 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Its an addictive hobby that is very rewarding . I can make a loading ( as said above ) for a Rifle , better then any factory ammo , as long as the Barrel is in good shape , plus the shear verity of load variables that are not available for any particular caliber .

The time & tolls to make precision ammo for a rifle is costly top start up , but then they pay for themselves & you can save some $$ . Its is somewhat labor & time consuming process , but you also have pride in rolling your own .

Its not for everyone , but if you have a friend that reloads , see if you can help or try it & see if it interests you , before you go out & lay hard earned funds to start up .

As quoted above, for .308 and .556, there is just too much ammo on the market to save a lot of money. But, for premium ammunition in other calibers, there is a lot to be saved.  Especially when you are talking about brands like Weatherby, and Barnes.  And also when you are talking about big bore magnum rounds.  I load 7mm magnum (not a particularly big round but the one I load) for a lot less than I can buy factory rounds.

And you can't beat a custom round matched to your rifle for accuracy vs. a cookie cutter factory round.

• 5 weeks later...

Reloading is a hobby and very rewarding.  It can shine for those that buy in bulk, heads, primers, and powder. As an example because several years ago I bought those items in bulk the cost to me for 223 55 gr FMJ ammo is about .15 cents per round with me already owning the brass. I also still buy items when they are on sale and tuck away for a rainy day. I know you can get factory 223 in bulk at times for .28 cent a round deliver, but remember not too many years ago when when there was a shortage, ball was costing .75 to a dollar a round. That is when reloading can shine.  One thing I have found out that what you pay for supplies today, you will consider a bargain in 5 years.

Edited by Bert762

On 1/22/2018 at 8:34 PM, NTXshooter said:

But, for premium ammunition in other calibers, there is a lot to be saved.

^^^ This...I have a 300WSM and those rounds aren’t cheap if you buy factory loaded ammo...

As stated by some of the others the real bonus of reloading comes from “tweaking” ammo to shoot more accurately since it is made specifically for that one weapon.