• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tightening the Gas Cylinder on M1 Garand

survivalshop

I had to use my new fancy Tool & when cleaning a completely field stripped Garand , I noticed the Gas Cylinder was loose on the Barrel , so some great YT Videos out on all things M1 & here is this one I used . https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tightening+gas+assembly+on+the+m1+garand&qpvt=tightening+gas+assembly+on+the+m1+garand&view=detail&mid=5EC3F2FF95566D2F33A85EC3F2FF95566D2F33A8&&FORM=VRDGAR

I lightly tapped on both sides of the Top Spline & it didn't take much to tighten it up , so I had to use light tapping of my nylon hammer to seat it & no more wiggle of the Gas Cylinder & as you know ,  the M1 Garand has its sight attached to it so it should make a difference in groups. I have a NM front Sight on my M1 . 

You are now a Garand junkie! Congrats!

I learned some gunsmithing tricks from a great M1/M14 smith. Don't take the gas cylinder off too often (maybe once a year if you shoot it a lot) but clean it thoroughly when you do. If it is loose, tap the splines as you mentioned to expand them. Before putting the gas cylinder back on, coat the splines with black magic marker. Then fit it. The wear marks should tell you where the high spots on the splines are.

22 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

You are now a Garand junkie! Congrats!

I learned some gunsmithing tricks from a great M1/M14 smith. Don't take the gas cylinder off too often (maybe once a year if you shoot it a lot) but clean it thoroughly when you do. If it is loose, tap the splines as you mentioned to expand them. Before putting the gas cylinder back on, coat the splines with black magic marker. Then fit it. The wear marks should tell you where the high spots on the splines are.

The Rifle shot pretty damn good for my old eyes to begin with , but when you find an issue with an old Firearm , its needs to be taken care of . I can't wait to check it out , thing is , my next range trip is already full of stuff to do & I may not even take the M1 with me , but I go just about every week so no big deal .

On a M-14 gas system one could actually bend the barrel nose up a little if you force the figure eight down to the six oclock position. I seen a few M1A from Springfield where it would shoot 10 inches high at 100 yds with the rear sight all the way down. Simple fix, loosen the figure eight one full turn and reinstall the plug and go shoot. Then it was correct after that requiring some 10 clicks up from bottom to center up at 100yds.