• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308's in the Military

imschur

I know the US military is issuing quite a few KAC .308's in Afghanistan. What about Iraq? Someone told me last fall that DPMS was shipping a lot to the Mexican army for their drug war.

I wonder if the weapons are being fielded to fill a niche or they are addressing some shortcomings of the 5.56 Nato.

Last year when the SEALS took out those pirates I read that they used .308's for that. Has the facts pertaining to the weapons utilized ever come out?

We had M14s (some accurized, some standard), M21s and M24s before I retired, and only a few teams had SR-25s from KAC.  There were only a few of those around.  There were more Barrett .50s than SR-25s.  5.56 SPRs were on all the teams.  I didn't get to mess with the M110s at all (bums me out, too). 

I know for a fact that I would have rather been carrying the M110 (or SR-25, then) in Afghanistan than the M4 platform. 

KAC reworked the SR-25 some for the M110 version.  I'm not quite sure all that was done, but it's an improved package (and it's a "complete package" now).  I know the newer 600m rear sight wasn't on the older ones, and the flip up front/rail piece is different.  The gas system on the M110 is tuned like nobody's business, from what I've heard.  I wish I could get my hands on one for a little bit of T&E...  ;D