• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

S&W 317 Kit Gun Initial Review

beachmaster

Hey guys, as you might have seen, I recently gave up my Ruger MkIV. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't what I was looking for, and it was the last in a long string of Rugers that just weren't right from the factory.

What I was really looking for was a kit gun, a light weight 22lr pistol that I could ALWAYS have, or store in a bob without worry. An Emergency hunting pistol.

So, it has to be small and light, because my G17 that I carry every day weighs 35oz loaded with 18 rnds of 9mm, so anything over 25oz doesn't make much sense... really anything over 20oz, for what I want.

It really came down to the S&W 317 kit gun... and about nothing else. 12oz, aluminum and stainless, 8 shots, it looked like a win win, except about 3/4 of the people online hated it... weird.

So far my initial impressions of this pistol are really, really good. Hopefully it will put some meat on the table this fall. I can't help but feel like a lot of the complaints about the pistol online are from people who don't have something figured out, but tbh, all of the bores in my cylinder aren't exactly the same size, and we all know that S&W's qc is nothing like it used to be, so maybe they did screw quite a few of these up.

Anyways, here is the video of about 400-500 rounds going down the pipe, I have come to already love this little pistol, and I forsee shooting it tens of thousands of times before summer comes. Ill try to keep this thread updated as that experience progresses!

Edited by beachmaster
Media didn't insert right