• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA 4x14x44mm ACCS HUD DMR .308 with astigmatism

Lane

I have not spent a lot of time with this scope yet, but I think I might need some secondary optics. I've recently remembered that I do have an astigmatism in my right eye, which is very much noticeable with 1x holographic scopes. I have not owned, or worn glasses in many years as they got destroyed long ago. I hadn't considered how an FFP scope might give me similar problems. I do drive just fine with my current vision; the left eye is nearly perfect.

I searched around and couldn't find qualified information about this particular problem. I'm open to any suggestions, but at this moment I think I'm going to need proper glasses for hunting with this scope. Is that common for FFP vs SFP, or have I not explored all the settings in detail?

I have astigmatism and wear bifocals. I find that I can adjust the ocular lens focus to get a nice crisp sight picture with or without glasses, just have to adjust focus for each. I do notice my eyes get tired fast and start blurring out if I don't take breaks from the scope. Never noticed a difference between SFP and FFP, more difference is noted between scope lens quality.

I am able to adjust the focus on the scope to get a clear sight picture, but at that setting the distance numbers are way off. I aim at something roughly 50 yards away and have a focus setting around 150.

My eye does get tired very quickly, and I did notice I can get a clear reticle image early on. When my eye gets tired I can barely see it well enough to aim magnified to anything less than 8x. 

I spent some more time with it yesterday and today. I thought I was getting next to nothing useful out of the parallax adjustment until I finally figured out that 1/64th of a turn is all I need from fully closed. I had been riding past that point every time and thought it must be my eye because the rest of the range was useless for me.

The ocular adjustment seems roughly accurate distance-wise. I guess I really did just need to play with it a bit more. Having had the parallax adjustment off, the blur was causing me to get tired quickly. Still not quite sighted in but I'll get to that in time. 

I think I figured out my initial problems with this.

It seems like at some point during adjustment I would start squinting and adjust a focus to that. When my eye got too tired I would stop squinting, my eye would see something off, and I would start the process over again. I may be squinting into other scopes without thinking about it to compensate for my vision; I'll have to be more mindful when I shoot other things.

I didn't need to make any adjustment at all shooting Monday after a careful setup on Sunday.