• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ceratac AR308 kit build round 2

CRracer912

I've got a p223 and m223, both good scopes, think I've got the 22 version as well. Another surprisingly good scope I have is the Bushnell AR scope, got 2 or three of those. They're just a little bulkier. Their reticle is a little thicker than I like, it's thicker than the p223, which is thicker than my vx2.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back in the day (say 1995) the BSA Platinum were great for an $80 6x24x50 scope. Maybe not $300 worth for $80 but a decent scope for the price. But some BSA at the same time was utter junque...one I looked through looked like looking through a dirty goldfish bowl with the fish still in it :-).

One issue the BSA had was if you were unscrewing the turret to make an adj the scope might walk shots until it settled down, the solution there was to just unscrew past, say go 10 moa then move back 5 to where you really wanted to go :-).

But I'm hoping Nikon are all worth what you pay based on some of the lower priced stuff I have looked at and bought so far. I watched a youtube vid on the scope you bought, looks pretty cool really. Where to set the zero stop might take some thinking...most of my stuff I zero at 100 but put 50 yard data in the table, 50 yards is a "sub zero" setting a lot of times from a 100 yard zero. I started adding the 50 yard data after seeing a lot of critters while walking out to where AI actually intended to hunt :-).

Edited by willbird

43 minutes ago, willbird said:

Way back in the day (say 1995) the BSA Platinum were great for an $80 6x24x50 scope. Maybe not $300 worth for $80 but a decent scope for the price. But some BSA at the same time was utter junque...one I looked through looked like looking through a dirty goldfish bowl with the fish still in it :-).

One issue the BSA had was if you were unscrewing the turret to make an adj the scope might walk shots until it settled down, the solution there was to just unscrew past, say go 10 moa then move back 5 to where you really wanted to go :-).

But I'm hoping Nikon are all worth what you pay based on some of the lower priced stuff I have looked at and bought so far. I watched a youtube vid on the scope you bought, looks pretty cool really. Where to set the zero stop might take some thinking...most of my stuff I zero at 100 but put 50 yard data in the table, 50 yards is a "sub zero" setting a lot of times from a 100 yard zero. I started adding the 50 yard data after seeing a lot of critters while walking out to where AI actually intended to hunt :-).

I ended up with a BSA sweet 223, it was free with purchase of the Burris PEPR. I can't remember if it went to 16 or 20. I just remember it looking cloudy, no matter what. It even came with retail packaged Butler Creek flip ups. All for the 80.00 mount. Still got the mount, I also kept the covers. I gave that scope to someone on one of the forums I frequent.

Regarding your zero stop, I was thinking the exact same thing, possibly setting it for 50 after zering to 100. I've shot more deer and coyotes within 50 yards than I have over!

Well, I did it now.

Everyone seemed to be the same price for the Nikon and Leupold. Nikon being cheaper by a couple hundred and many saying glass was slightly better, I bought the Nikon.

Then I'm browsing brownell's yesterday and searched the Leupold VX3i lrp. They come in 4.5-14, 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. I noticed ALL FFP we're listed at 739.00 with the exception of on of the 4.5-14 models, which was the usual 999.99.

I jumped on the 6.5-20 impact 60 FFP. Got my web confirmation number, showed 739.00. bout an hour later got my order confirmation number, showed 999.99...

I called brownell's and asked about discrepancy, fully ready for them to say it was listed wrong and was 999. At which point I'd simply cancel the order, I don't freak out on errors. 

The lady saw what I saw, said wasn't sure why the two prices, but it says 739, and that's what it'll be. I saw ok, but what happens if I get debited 999? They said I would be, but they'd credit 260.99 back. I says if it's 739, then yes I wanted it, but if it's 999, I don't. She reaffirmed it'll be 739.

Got my shipping notice, shows 999, got a return adjustment notice for 260.99. 

Checked scopes on website, they've all been repriced to 999.99.

Kinda feel bad about an apparent pricing error, but kinda feel good about a smoking deal.

yea it shows up for me as 999 as a Brownells Edge member even.

I ordered a couple lowers a few weeks back and one email in the confirmation process between ordering and being shipped showed an FFL fee. But I was never actually charged the fee. Maybe they have some bugs in their system somewhere ??

Bill

I ordered yesterday afternoon. At that time, after search and you had a scroll down list, that showed 739.00 for all but one FFP and 665.00 for all SFP.

Clicking on each one showed same price on product page.

After my order confirmation came with higher price, and I'd called in, I noticed last night, the price went up on individual product page to 999 and 899 respectively. But the search results page you scroll through had cheaper price. 

I noticed this morning that it had all been updated.

My Nikon 6-24x50 arrived today. It does not disappoint. With FFP, the reticle zooms in as you increase power. So low power shows smaller reticle. I was worried about this with my 20/30 eye sight. After viewing it at 6x, it's a tiny reticle with 10, 20 and 30 moa numbers, but they are razor sharp and Crystal clear. I didn't notice any CA until about 20x and on up to 24x, but it was still a crystal clear picture, easy to obtain eye relief.

The illuminated reticle on this fairly bright, but overcast day wasn't really noticable until about 5 power setting. At 10 it really popped, and was as defined as it is when no illumination is set. 

So far, given it's my most expensive scope to date, I'm pretty excited about the clarity, especially at the higher magnification where my lesser scopes fall off.