• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm torn between a PWS Mk216 vs LMT MWS 308

Benito

Ok, as the thread title says, I'm looking to get 1 of these two rifles: a LMT MWS 308 or a PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) Mk216.

I ask advice because where I live, I cannot actually see these rifles in person before buying (sucks).

The two are about the same price from the business I go through, so cost is par for the course, as is barrel length (both 16").

Between the two accuracy is probably not a significant factor, since either rifle will likely shoot better than I can. Plus, I don't think free-floating is as critical as it's made out to be.

My main priority is reliability/durability. (Yes, I know that I would probably be bankrupt by the time the round count got high enough to start breaking parts, given the cost of .308). The reason for this being my priority is that both rifles' parts are proprietary, and likely difficult to get a hold of north of the border, here (Canada).

So, as I see it the pros/cons break down to:

LMT MWS

Pros: +More proven DI system is a known quantity

+Maybe more accurate (free floated barrel)

Cons: -A bit heavier

PWS Mk216

Pros: +A bit lighter

Cons: -Long-stroke piston system, although cool, is an 

unknown quantity compared to DI.

-Maybe less accurate (non-free floated barrel)

Feel free to chime in/flame/whatever.

Thanks

i don't want to start the debate between the di/piston, what i can say is that my pws mk214 has functioned flawless, is a well put together rifle that's nice and tight, shoots well (i don't have optics on it yet, i plan on an aimpoint, but with irons at 50yds i get 1 1/2"-2" groups, could be better with an optic) and i can't think of any reason i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. this probably doesn't help much but no negatives at least.