• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lane builds an AR-10 in .260 Remington

Lane

This one might take a while...

I hinted at this in some other threads; but the funding has finally rolled in for this project. Unfortunately the upper is out of stock everywhere I have looked. I sent Armalite an e-mail, but got no reply yet. I will certainly try calling them to see what is possible. I would really rather not buy a complete upper, because the because the cheapest I can find so far is the A-Series Competition 13". That is more than double what I had budgeted for that part of the build; and the brake is welded on so I couldn't even recover the gas block without some effort. 

I will stop by the local gun shop and see what they have to say about the matter. They may know of something available that I'm not aware of; or even used might be an acceptable sacrifice at this point. 

I had planned to buy the upper and bolt carrier first, to compare to the Ceratac lower I have here. I still need to determine which of the 80% lowers will actually work with the necessary FCG location. There is one option available that claims to be an Armalite A style 80% lower, so that is certainly a consideration if nothing else looks like it will work. Going off blueprints and measurements for this part of the build. I am not even sure if there is a jig available for the Armalite cut.

All other parts besides the barrel, barrel nut, and handguard will be Armalite brand... And I may bend on the handguard/barrel nut for purity sake. 

I am open to any comments or suggestions about this endeavor. I haven't seen anyone else try this; but I surely can't be the first. 

2 hours ago, Lane said:

Going off blueprints and measurements for this part of the build. I am not even sure if there is a jig available for the Armalite cut.

Since it's still and AR15-based fire control group, it's a no-brainer, brother.  Zero issues. I can find the Armalite blueprints in a couple different formats, if you want them.  Adjust the jig you have to match up, done deal.  :thumbup:

I LIKE seeing another .260 Rem!   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Since it's still and AR15-based fire control group, it's a no-brainer, brother.  Zero issues. I can find the Armalite blueprints in a couple different formats, if you want them.  Adjust the jig you have to match up, done deal.  :thumbup:

I've got the prints for this; I simply want to know what kind of 80% lower is going to work (or work best). The specific Armalite A style 80% is double the cost (and raw finish to boot) of the other two options I can find; give or take. The real problem is I can't buy an Armalite upper today to start that comparison work. I can order the BCG, but would rather not double/triple/quadruple the shipping costs with Armalite orders if I can help it.

This will be my first Armalite brand FCG; this whole thing is a quality experiment for me... I am curious to know how much better the real thing is; in 260 of course.