• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Weekend fun

Peachey

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

When you load that bipod, it's a whole different world, as far as stability goes.  Dig those toes and load it...  

I was talking about the tripod deal in the pic of me sitting in the chair. Or are you saying dig in on that too? I'm all ears if so lol.

15 minutes ago, Peachey said:

I was talking about the tripod deal in the pic of me sitting in the chair. Or are you saying dig in on that too? I'm all ears if so lol.

That's different, depending on what you're doing... If you're hunting, treat it as benchrest shooting with bags, lead-sled, whatever - you want to eliminate as much contact with the gun as you can, except having it IN your shoulder, for that single accurate shot... unless it kicks like a fucker.  In that case, if it does, forward pressure will load it, and get your body tight to the gun, and the forward pressure will eat some of that sick recoil...

Bipod...   This pic right here:

1418597915_Peacheyloadbipod.thumb.jpg.f250842c0539f9680b8815f63be4a3e1.jpg

Dig the toes of that left foot in, once you're set, and use them to push your whole body forward, which will "load" the bipod.  Put forward pressure on your whole, set, body position with that left foot, push that bipod forward, and lock the gun/body position in more solid.  Everything helps for distance.

Here's the toe-dig I'm talking about - my primary toe-dig is left foot, support side.  To a limited degree, I'm digging with my right foot, too, but still keeping that leg out there to minimize breathing input... Make sense?...  Using what I can to put more forward pressure on the bipod...

1467725459_Bipodtoedig.jpeg.7d44f1c573b460de7f842648058773fe.jpeg

Edited by 98Z5V

Oh ok, I'm understanding now. Yeah, definitely need to toe down and dig in on the bipod. The tripod thing was just super unstable to me. We tightened up on the thumb screws but it still just wobbled all over the target. I'd rather shoulder with a sling than that particular set up (simple sling is a priority once my gas tube & buffer set up is squared away. If you see the pics with my Bros .45, he's got a fancy smancy tacticool sling that didn't do it for me either). Of course it could have a bit to do with the Tacky Bitch weighing a touch over 13lbs lol. 

Nah, I just want gun to run like they're supposed to, right from the factory.  :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, Peachey said:

The tripod thing was just super unstable to me. We tightened up on the thumb screws but it still just wobbled all over the target.

I just picked up on something in that pic, that will make sense.

IMG_20190721_164527416.jpg

The two legs are forward on that tripod.  You won't be able to "lean into it" without tipping it over.  Leaning into it, loading it, will push it onto those two front legs, and push it off that back leg.  Turn the tripod.  One leg always has to be forward.  Always.  That's the deal on the M2 .50 Cal and the Mk19 grenade machine gun - same tripod.  When you're shooting from a tripod on one of those big fuckers, you're between tripod legs - with a tripod leg facing forwards.

Turn that tripod, get a leg forward, and you can load it.  Much more gooder, in SE Ohio Speak...   :thumbup:

5b16bd9c52054_LeeA4-0.JPG.3db5e77579da82

Another thing I forgot to mention last night was the brass catcher. It's just a cheap (UTG brand) one that velcros onto the forend. Worked pretty well so long as you didn't let it get too full and droop down. I'm sure there's better ones out there, but if anyone is wondering, they do work well enough for us.