• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Weekend fun

Peachey

Well as some of ya'll know I'm going to be shooting my new PA10 this weekend. So to get prepared, and scratch the itch while I wait, I've decided to just make a whole weekend of it.

Started off yesterday morning, got my bipod mounted and spent a while doing some dry fire trigger practice down the hallway. (Warning! Obligatory booty pic lol, I mean hey, gotta have good form right?!?)

IMG_20190719_141707111.jpg

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Think it's gonna be dry enough to shoot this weekend?  Will it make it?  You might wind up with a brown cheek - but it would be worth it...  :thumbup:

We actually just cut the fishnets off. Pics coming soon! The grip is tacky still, but I was for warned that was going to happen. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but it's unique and mine lol.

Here it is! Good enough for now anyway. Definitely needs a bit of brown before it's all said and done, but I'm satisfied for now. Gonna get some high temperature paint for the barrel whenever I go get some brown. Yeah 98 your exactly right! Hair dryer is coming out soon!

IMG_20190720_200104593.jpg

IMG_20190720_200145754.jpg

Edited by Peachey

11 hours ago, Peachey said:

Well as some of ya'll know I'm going to be shooting my new PA10 this weekend. So to get prepared, and scratch the itch while I wait, I've decided to just make a whole weekend of it.

Started off yesterday morning, got my bipod mounted and spent a while doing some dry fire trigger practice down the hallway. (Warning! Obligatory booty pic lol, I mean hey, gotta have good form right?!?)

IMG_20190719_141707111.jpg

Nice - how you've got that firing side leg out there.  You know what's up.  Ease up the tension on your solar plexus, minimize how your breathing affects your shot at distance.  You nailed that one.   :hail:

The form is good for distance shooting...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Nice - hot you've got that firing side leg out there.  You know what's up.  Ease up the tension on your solar plexus, minimize how your breathing affects your shot at distance.  You nailed that one.   :hail:

The form is good for distance shooting...   :thumbup:

Ah yes, but he doesn't have a couch he's dodging! Lol. On a serious note though, I've never seen or considered locking my leg over like that. You can bet I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm absolutely beside myself for tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Belt Fed said:

Looks good, shoot that bad boy.

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

Nice job on the rifle sister :thumbup:

Thank y'all! I'll be making noise with that "tacky bitch" tomorrow!!! I think that's going to be her name, "Tacky Bitch". Maybe get it engraved on the inside of the dust cover.....

2 minutes ago, Peachey said:

On a serious note though, I've never seen or considered locking my leg over like that. You can bet I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm absolutely beside myself for tomorrow.

You can easily see how that body position eats recoil, and minimizes movement at the gun (That was a very sweet .338 Laupa Magnum, Barrett MRAD - thank you @Rsquared).  From the shooting perspective, your body soaks it up, and there's very little movement as far as scope/shooter/target go.  Having the gun "tamed" like it needs to be is the biggest part - but the body position is the second piece of that.  Best part of doing that is that it negates - as much as it can - your breathing, and that effect of breathing, when looking through the scope-at-target.   :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, Peachey said:

Ah yes, but he doesn't have a couch he's dodging! Lol. On a serious note though, I've never seen or considered locking my leg over like that. You can bet I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm absolutely beside myself for tomorrow. 

Thank y'all! I'll be making noise with that "tacky bitch" tomorrow!!! I think that's going to be her name, "Tacky Bitch". Maybe get it engraved on the inside of the dust cover.....

:laffs:……….……...👍

Ok, so, where to begin..... Went to the auto parts store after church and got some Synthetic oil. Got down to the property we were shooting on and soaked the bolt and carrier. Started out with just a single round in a pmag, fired and held open just fine (4 quarters in the buffer tube). 3 rounds in a pmag, no problems. Bore snaked and checked the spent primers, good to go. 

15 rounds loaded in a pmag, 6 (3 & 3) downrange and I'm windage good and holding 2 dots high at 25yds. Minute of beer can for the remaining 9. 

Still need to dial in the scope a bit more, but for 60 more rounds I was minute of beer can at 100yds no problem. 

Just for laughs I did some walking rapid fire holding on a 45deg, basically pretending as if I had offset sights. Not too shabby there either. I can definitely see the appeal of offset sights as a plan B. 

Shot a suppressed 5.56 for the first time. Really making us consider that avenue. Not too keen on the paper work, but then again, is it any worse than our carry permits? We're already "on the radar" right? 

Multiple walking drills with my and another's 1911. Same old same old there, just plain fun. Tried some baby buckshot (really tiny short shells, something my brother brought) in my home 12ga. They were cool I guess, but I couldn't justify spending more money on a lesser round. Almost seems like a novelty to me. 

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 .22's downrange. Mostly by our daughter. Probably the greatest part of the whole day was taking turns helping her pop cans and spent shotgun shells with the .22. And of course she can't have a range day without her Red Rider to get warmed up with before that "bad kick" of the .22.......

Shot 1 mag through my little brothers .45 AR. Again, it was cool, and definitely has merits as a defensive tool, but the drop at anymore that 25yds or so got pretty bad pretty quick. Got a story on this one I'll be posting in the appropriate thread asap. 

Sorry for the quick writing, I'm still on the property grilling out and loving my life, but I wanted to let y'all know all went pretty well. The Trashy Bitch did alright!!

IMG_20190721_175032989.jpg

IMG_20190721_181423892.jpg

IMG_20190721_175552586.jpg

Damn near PERFECT Prone body position, Peach!  Well done!

As a right-handed shooter, the left side of your body is the "support side" for the shot.  Getting that left side in complete contact with the ground, damn near head to toe, is the goal - and you did it well.  :thumbup:

104963050_PeacheyPronebodysupport.jpg.e913abe6abbe1aaa435283248f7799b4.jpg

Working a bipod is different from no-bipod, and only working a sling for tension (they go over slings with you in your Appleseed? - we recommended them in the ones I taught, and showed their effectiveness).   Only thing I can say about this - perfect left-side body contact with the ground - maximize your body support, right leg out there to raise your body up on that side, which puts more pressure onto the contact side (left side) and which gets the solar plexus off the ground, and minimizes what your breathing does to/through the scope.  Less movement in the sights, through your body, when you breathe...

Since you're running a bipod - load that thing.  Once you get your Natural Point Of Aim set, you can load that bipod and minimize breathing more - by digging that left foot/toes into the ground, and pushing your whole body foreward - that's what "loads" the bipod.  Here's what I'm talking about:

CE7DA0E2-A86F-41C5-AE40-2C079D88A50C.jpeg

In that pic, I'm even digging in a little with my right foot, even though I've got that leg out a little. Not my normal prone position (leg lock), but I needed more bipod loading on that gun...  

You crushed it.  Well done.   :thumbup:

Looking back at the first two pics, I promise I wasn't holding the mag when I actually fired. Guess I was searching for the target. Oh and that tripod thing is great for the smaller calibers, not a big fan with the 308. 

Also, as a observation, the recoil was very manageable. Reminds me of our 30-30 to be honest. Hubby was saying that kinda makes sense as these were only 150gr projectiles and the rifle is absorbing some of it as is. 

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn near PERFECT Prone body position, Peach!  Well done!

As a right-handed shooter, the left side of your body is the "support side" for the shot.  Getting that left side in complete contact with the ground, damn near head to toe, is the goal - and you did it well.  :thumbup:

104963050_PeacheyPronebodysupport.jpg.e913abe6abbe1aaa435283248f7799b4.jpg

Working a bipod is different from no-bipod, and only working a sling for tension (they go over slings with you in your Appleseed? - we recommended them in the ones I taught, and showed their effectiveness).   Only thing I can say about this - perfect left-side body contact with the ground - maximize your body support, right leg out there to raise your body up on that side, which puts more pressure onto the contact side (left side) and which gets the solar plexus off the ground, and minimizes what your breathing does to/through the scope.  Less movement in the sights, through your body, when you breathe...

Since you're running a bipod - load that thing.  Once you get your Natural Point Of Aim set, you can load that bipod and minimize breathing more - by digging that left foot/toes into the ground, and pushing your whole body foreward - that's what "loads" the bipod.  Here's what I'm talking about:

CE7DA0E2-A86F-41C5-AE40-2C079D88A50C.jpeg

In that pic, I'm even digging in a little with my right foot, even though I've got that leg out a little. Not my normal prone position (leg lock), but I needed more bipod loading on that gun...  

You crushed it.  Well done.   :thumbup:

Thank you! I totally showed off the video clip you posted last night when we got there today. I'm learning everytime your typing!!

1 minute ago, Peachey said:

Oh and that tripod thing is great for the smaller calibers, not a big fan with the 308.

When you load that bipod, it's a whole different world, as far as stability goes.  Dig those toes and load it...